III. Nevers rule

" NEVERS RULE! "

Each school has its own entrance to the Theater of Tales, which was split into two halves. The west doors opened into the side for the Good students, decorated with pink and blue pews, Crystal friezes, and glittering bouquets of glass flowers.

The east doors opened into the side for Evil students, with warped wooden benches, carvings of murder and torture, and deadly stalactites dangling from the burnt ceiling. As students herded into the halves for the Welcoming, fairies and wolves guarded the silver marble aisle between them.

Despite Sophie's ghastly new uniform, she had no intention of sitting with Evil. One look at the Good girls' glossy hair, dazzling smiles, chic pink dresses, and she knew she had found her sisters. If the fairies wouldn't rescue her, surely her fellow princesses would.

With the villains shoving her along, she tried to get the Good girls' attention, but they were ignoring her side of the theater. Finally Sophie batted her way to the aisle, waved her arms, and opened her mouth to yell, when a hand yanked her under a rotten bench. A greasy, black-haired girl tackled her in a hug.

"I found the School Master's tower! It's in the most and there's guard, but if we can just get up there then we can—" Sophie cut her off. "Hi! Nice to see you! Give me your clothes," said Sophie, staring at the black-haired girl's pink dress. "Huh?" she replied in confusion. "Quick! It will solve everything!" Sophie whisper-yelled.

"You can't be serious! Sophie, we can't stay here!" the black-haired girl begged her friend. "Exactly," Sophie smiled. "I need to be in your school and you need to be in mine. Just like we talked about, remember?" Sophie asked. "But your father, my mother, my cat!" she sputtered. "You don't know what they're like here! They'll turn us into snakes or squirrels or shrubbery! Sophie, we have to get back home!" she cried.

"Why? What do I have in Gavaldon to go back to?" asked Sophie. The black-haired girl blushed with hurt, "You have... um, you have..." she said, trying to figure what important there is in Gavaldon to Sophie. "Right. Nothing. Now, my dress, please?" the black-haired girl folded her arms.

"Then I'll take it myself," Sophie scowled. But right as she grabbed her by her flowered sleeve, something made her stop cold. Sophie listened, ears piqued, and took off like a panther. She slid under warped benches, dodged villains' feet, ducked behind the last pew, and peeked behind it.

The black-haired girl followed, exasperated. "I don't know what's gotten into yo—" Sophie covered her mouth and listened to the sounds grow louder. Sounds that made every Good girl bolt upright. Sounds they had waited their whole lives to hear. From the hall, the stomp of boots, the clash of steel—the west doors flew open to sixty gorgeous boys in sword fight.

Sun-kissed skin peeked through flight blue sleeves and stiff collars; tall navy boots matched high-cut waistcoats and knitted slim ties, each embroidered with a single gold initial. As the boys playfully crossed blades, their shirts came untucked from height beige breeches, revealing slender waists and flashes of muscle.