Potential Energy

We traveled across the Eerie Barrens for hours as Deimos told his stories of life. We hadn't eaten since Arezo's feast at the village. Really, the last week we've barely eaten much. It was starting to weigh down on us all. I couldn't wait for more of her food. Even Pandora was weakened unlike I've ever seen before. Deimos was fine though.

Deimos pointed at the village and said, "It's just up ahead now. Are you ready?"

Irritated, I said, "I'm ready alright! Let's just get on with it."

He looked a little upset at my attitude towards the whole thing.

We approached the village entrance to an anxious sight. The whole village was waiting on us to return. Gadi, Zohar, and Arezo stood at the front. Rather than being surprised, it was as if they all knew our exact return time. Likely Gadi's doing.

Arezo ran out towards us and then, in a most unexpected turn of events, she and Deimos began kissing. The crowd filled with gasps and whispers. It must have been strange for the villagers since their savior and enemy united with such a lustrous romantic expression.

As they finished, Arezo greeted, "It's been a while."

Deimos smiled at her, then walked ahead, ready for the confrontation. He called out, "Zohar!! This ends now!"

Zohar calmly walked forward and said to me, "I see you decided to bring my brother."

Brother?! Had he sent me to murder his own brother??

Deimos responded, "Leave him out. This is our problem."

Despite that, I eagerly joined, "Zohar!! You scumbag! Deimos told me all about the Tree of Revelations. You are just killing off the weak for your agenda!"

The crowd gasped.

Zohar spoke with his typical charismatic persona, "Careful, Guhya. Your life is lived in shelter. You cannot fathom our ways. Don't be so naive, boy. This way of life gives us hope. Besides, the alternative is to just watch the ones we love suffer and die."

The crowd looked horrified. They muttered and gossiped a score that functioned as background music throughout the confrontation.

Deimos demanded, "You must cease your plans for reaching the Outside. There is no Outside. You will just kill people."

He justified himself, "We have no other choice. Our village is dying. This is no way of life, especially for those less fortunate."

Deimos was fuming, "That isn't for you to decide. You exploit their innocence and simply strive to maintain the hope in your community, all through lies!"

Zohar had no response.

The shape of the crowd was shifting into a mob now. People yelled out things, supporting both sides with mantras like "Liar" and "Traitor".