9.1 | Escaping

A gloomy spring night came, a strong wind began to bend the tops of the trees and the moon rose in the sky, sometimes hiding behind fluffy clouds. Ravenna looked impatiently at the clock on the wall. It was almost two o’clock in the morning, long after dinner. Everyone should have gone to sleep, but as if on schedule, both Lynn and Roger were walking around the house. Ravenna wondered what might have happened between them, but eventually, both the voices and the footsteps stopped.

Finally. No one will see me now.

She decided not to tell anyone that she knew the truth, just go and find her mother herself. She knew it sounded crazy, but it seemed like the best thing to do. It was a difficult decision, but she didn’t want to put either Lynn or Agnese in danger. After all, she was half-demon. Neptune said her powers were dangerous.

Ravenna took out her backpack, which contained all the things she needed, and looked out the window. She had to go. First, she dropped her backpack, then climbed over the window sill, crawled out of the tree and landed on solid ground. She stared at the house for a moment, but suppressing her feelings, quietly closed the fence gate and disappeared into the dark night. Although the wind nipped at her skin, she walked along the straight, gravel road. She hadn’t planned where to go yet, but she had to find a place to spend the night.

Or should she go to Neptune and ask him to let her stay in the Crystal Palace until she finds her mother? It seemed like the best solution, but would he accept that she could no longer live with her foster parents?

An unexpected silence surrounded the area, no cars on the road, and for some reason, it was getting harder and harder for the girl to leave her beloved Fishermen’s Village, where she grew up. She couldn’t imagine hot summer days without the beach and refreshing river, with nothing but fun and no worries on her mind. But now everything has changed, and she will not be able to be an ordinary child. She never was, she just never knew it.

Thinking about it, Ravenna didn’t even realise she had reached the Crystal Palace, and her fingers already pressed the glittering crystal on the crag. Only after the gate closed did she feel safer and hurried to find her friend. She found him in the library. Hearing the door open, the boy turned around.

“Ravenna, what are you doing here so late?!”

“I left home and I’m not coming back,” she explained, dropping her backpack on the floor in exhaustion. “Can you let me stay?”

“Sure, but... do you really know what you’re doing?”

“It was hard, but I have to leave them,” the girl leaned closer to him as if trying to read something in his eyes. “Of course, if you lied to me, it would be best if you told me the truth now, so I can still come back.”

“You don’t trust me, but you came here anyway?” Neptune raised his eyebrows. “You’ll thank me when we find your mother. All I care about is that we won’t be safe here.”

“But you said my father can’t see us.”

“Yes, but it doesn’t mean he can’t get in if he breaks my spell, because I’m not as strong as him. Also, the most important thing is that Tasdar won’t hurt you, but he’ll do everything in his power to prevent us from freeing Arella.”

“And how do you know he won’t do anything to me?”

“You’re his daughter, he wanted you to come into this world, he can’t just kill you. Trust me, he won’t, but he could still hurt me.”