t h r e e

PAISLY ROUTLEDGE

"You think there's a dead body down there?" Pope asked us as we all looked down at the Grady-White at the bottom of the marsh.

"Let's find out." I say before taking my floral printed cotton shorts, kicking them to the side, and diving into the water.

Swimming down to the boat, I open my eyes slightly to see. The marsh water burns but I wanted to be able to see what I was looking at and to see if I could find anything. Praying to myself that it's not a dead body, but anything useful.

As soon as I'm next to the boat I see everyone behind me head to the surface. I tried getting inside the boat, but it was too long for me to be underwater. Losing my ability to hold my breath, I swim to the surface with the best ability I could.

My lungs burn as I gasp for air once I made it above water. JJ is next to me, simpering at me. I slightly smile at him before making my way to the latter.

"Not going to lie, but I like this view I am getting right now." JJ whispers from behind me as I climbed up onto the boat.

"Jay, shut the fuck up." I laugh, using my foot to kick water into his face. He pretends to be mad at me but ends up laughing too.

I join our friends, trying to pretend that didn't happen. The comment was cocky, but brave of him to say to his best friends little sister.

"Did you guys see anything?" Kie asked, already on the HMS Pogue.

"Yeah." Pope and John B reply and the same time.

"That's a Grady-White. A new one of those is like 500 Gs, easy." JJ exclaims, putting his arm on my shoulder. He's much taller than my 5'4" frame. I'd say about a foot taller than me.

"Wait, wait. Do we know whose boat that is?" Pope asked, glancing back at the Grady-White.

"No, but we're about to find out." I smile, moving away from JJ, and grabbing the anchor from its small storage compartment.

"Paisly what are you doing?"John B asked, stepping closer to me.

"Paisly, don't do that." JJ warns me. I smile, salute my friends with my fingers and jumped into the water.

With the weight of the anchor, I was able to get to the boat faster than before. Once my I'm a few feet from the Grady-White, I let go of the anchor. Pushing through the water, I make my way into the boat. Rummaging through everything I don't see anything valuable or worth our while.

In a compartment, I find a motel key. Once it's in my grasp, I swim to the the surface. Once I make it back to fresh air I wade myself closer to the HMS Pogue.

"Oh, my God. That took forever! I thought you drowned." Kie groaned.

"What the fuck was that!" JJ shouted, reaching down and grabbing both of my arms.

"I wanted answers." I say as he pulls me onto the boat.

"Any dead bodies?" Pope asked.

"Uh no, but I did find this." I say, dangling the motel key in front of them.

"Great! We salvaged a motel key." JJ stressed, running his fingers through his hair.

"Guys, we should report the wreck to the coast guard. Maybe we'll get a finder's fee." Kie suggests as John B reals in the anchor.

"Yeah, and not work all summer. Thanks Agatha ya bitch." JJ smiles.

I give the key too John B before putting my white, light button up shirt and shorts back on and then sat in the back of the boat. Kie and Pope sit up front having their own conversation while John B starts the engine. JJ sits next to me, giving me a funny look.