s i x

PAISLY ROUTLEDGE

As I woke up, I felt pressure on my shoulder. I glance over to see JJ snuggled up next to me, his arm resting peacefully on my shoulder.

"Jay, wake up." I push him off of me.

"I was comfortable." He grumbled, sitting up. That's when I realized he was shirtless. His perfectly chiseled abs were on display for me to see.

"Alright, cupcake, quit drooling and go get dressed. We have to head over to the chateau." He smirks at me. I shield my face with my hands, not letting him see I was blushing.

"Okay, okay." I laugh. He gets up and heads off somewhere into his house. I quickly change into last nights clothes before meeting him in his kitchen.

"You look rough." JJ laughs.

"I did get thrown off of a man's shoulders." I state.

"Yeah and he'll pay for that. But for now, let's go." He says as he grabs on of his white t-shirts, throwing it on.

• • •

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out." I hear John B say as JJ and I walk around the chateau.

"Who will help you out?" I wonder out loud. Kie was playing around with a random bongo set.

"Peterkin isn't too happy with me right now. It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun." John B point to JJ. Pope softly smiles at me as I sit on the ground by him.

"You know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown your ass." JJ asked in defense.

"Topper was gonna drown me?" John B asked sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"Sure looked like it." I defend JJ.

"They always win, don't they, man?" JJ questioned, still highly upset about last nights events. "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!"

"Look, it's okay!" Kie tries to calm him down.

"No, it's not okay!" JJ shouts, throwing his hands up.

"It is not! If they don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." JJ explains as he paces back and forward. "I know you do. And I understand why you don't wanna go."

JJ walks over to Pope, "You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you—" He points to Kie. "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway."

JJ walks over to John B, "But you, your sister, and me, man, we got nothin' to lose! We really don't, all right?" He continues to pace again.

"Jay-" I start, but he cuts me off.

" And I know it didn't use to be that way for you two." JJ points at John B and me.

"I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to talk about it." John B repeats himself.

"John B, listen to me. I have a
plan. You got the key
to Cameron's big boat, right?" JJ asks.

"No." John B lies.

"There's scuba gear. We borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man." JJ explains, taking his hat off and running it through his hair.

"Ugh, fine." John B groans. JJ pumps his fists into the air as a celebratory dance.

As they all continue to make their plan, I wander into my room. Grabbing a white bikini with a red outline around it and a pair of Levi's denim shorts I thrifted with Kie last year, and a shear white cover top. Once I have everything I need, I head to the bathroom and shower.