Chapter 34

"Can you climb down Yuna's window?" I asked her the next morning after we both got dressed.

She shrugged her shoulders.

"I can try."

We both walked towards that room which was now empty, it was a little strange without Yuna here and somehow I missed her.

"Don't you miss her?" I asked Yeji as I opened the window.

"A little, yes." She said and stuck a leg out the window. "See you in a few hours, baby."

"In a few hours?"

"I got a text message from my mom telling me she'll be home soon, because your grandma is having a barbecue in her backyard at 2."

"And you're invited?"

"I'm not, my mom is. I'm only invited by association."

"Very well... Watch out for you, don't break a leg."

She laughed and successfully climbed down from the window.

I went back to my room and finished some of my summer homework, then got on Tumblr.

It was twenty to two when my grandmother came into my room.

"Ryujin, get dressed. The guests will be here in a few minutes."

"Who's coming?"

"The whole neighborhood, now put on something decent and come downstairs so you can help me tidy up the garden."

"All right."

I dressed in jeans, boots and a red hoodie. Grandma insisted on getting two braids, so I ended up looking like a 4-year-old.

I helped Grandma set up the tables in the backyard and arrange the decorations.

"So... Why did you have a barbecue all of a sudden? On a Friday?"

"Because I haven't had one in months and it's a tradition for someone in the neighborhood to host a barbecue at the beginning of every month. Now bring me the salad and we're done."

I did as she said and soon, there were people I hadn't even seen before, filling our yard. People were gathered in groups talking all over the place and I could see Grandma walking towards me with some of her friends, probably wanting to introduce me to them.

And by 'introduce' I mean tell them wonderful things about me and there really wasn't much to say. I knew they were going to ask a lot of questions about school or worse, boyfriends.

And what was I going to say?

'Oh, I never had a boyfriend, but that punk girl with piercings and tattoos everywhere, she touches me and fingers me from time to time.'

Yes? no.

My eyes searched for someone, someone I knew, and I almost screamed with joy when I saw Giselle and Lia entering the backyard.

"Hello!" I exclaimed and gracefully slid past my grandmother to get out of there.

"Hey Ryu!" Lia said.

"Hey, girls. Sorry, I just needed to get away from my grandma."

"Tell me about it, my mom wants me to meet this geeky guy from number 19, ugh!" Giselle sighed and plopped down in one of the chairs.

My eyes went back to the door, expecting to see a certain girl with multicolored hair walk in.

"So... Mmm are the others coming?"

"Yes, Somi and Jake just arrived and Beomgyu is on his way."

"Uh... Y-

"Yeji? Don't worry honey, she's always late for these things."