Chapter 1

Lagos, Nigeria

Inaaya Abubakar.

She slowly walked passed the receptionist after sending her a curt smile, her veil hanging loosely around her shoulders, a big basket in her left hand.

She closed her eyes for a brief moment, inhaling and exhaling silently, her body shaking slightly as she continued to walk.

She paused for some seconds after reaching the room, staring at the door for a while, once again she closed her eyes for a minute or two, before pushing the large door open.

Two people sat in the room, while a little girl was laying on the bed, sleeping.

The old woman smiled at her as she collected the basket and placed it on her side
"Har kin dawo?" She asked moving for her to sit, she shook her gently, declining.

"Eh" She answered as she sat on the prayer mat, which she didn't fold after praying, before she went out.

"Ina yini Aunty Inaaya" The teenager beside the old woman greeted.

"Lafiya lau, How are you?"

"I'm fine, Thank you"

She looked to her side a little, staring at the girl for sometime, with each passing second she stared at the girl, bad memories continued to flood back into her brain, bad bad memories.

The old woman watched her daughter, she studied her for a while before shaking her head.
"The doctor just left" She informed.

She tore her gaze away from the girl back to her mother,
"Hmm, okay"

"He said we'll be discharged tomorrow, daman she just needed to finish her drugs before he could discharge us"

She hummed once again, tying the veil on her head.

The old woman gave a key to the girl beside her
"Take, go and bring your things, so we could all go back together tomorrow"

The girl collected the key and grabbed her bag before saying her salam and leaving the room.

After a few moments of silence the woman motioned for her to move closer and patted the empty space next to her.
"Come,"

She stood up hesitantly and walked over to her mother, she took the sit beside her mother and gently placed her head on her shoulder.

The woman wrapped her hands around her shoulders patting her arm a little,
"Maryam," The woman called out her real name.

"Naam" She answered in a small voice all in an attempt to not let her voice crack, but it still did.

"What happened?"

"Nothin-"

"It can not be nothing, my dear. Come on now, tell me"She eyed her a little, now leaving soft strokes on her head.

"I don't want to loose her Umma, she's all I have, I don't know what I would do without her"

Umma is someone she couldn't hide anything from even if she wanted to. Ever since she was a child her mother always found a way of making her spill whatever was wrong with her, even now as a grown up and a mother, the old habits of her mother never died, she always found a way.

Umma smiled a little
"We won't loose her Inaaya," she said nodding her head before she added "insha'Allah"

_

She fed her the last spoon and petted her before standing up and keeping the bowl aside.

"Come on, lets go take a bath" she said pulling the duvet away.