9.3 | Escaping

“And what are you planning to do?”

As the question reached his ears, Roger turned around to see his companion Gertrude approaching. It annoyed him a little, but he continued to stare out of the window, trying to remain calm.

“I mean, what are you going to do with Felicia?” the woman asked again. “Why is she so... important?”

“More important than you?”

“Come on, that’s not why I’m helping you,” she snarled. “Just wondering why you need Felicia right now. Why didn’t you look for her sooner?”

“How do you know I wasn’t looking for her?”

“Mark told me,” she smiled and leaned against the window sill, stopping next to him. “He’s been with you longer than I have, he knows better. You’re not looking for Felicia because you love her. Your plans are different. You don’t need her as a daughter, or you would have found her much sooner if you wanted to.”

Roger waited for a moment. He was looking out the window, but his mind wandered somewhere else and it seemed like he didn’t see the panoramic view in front of him. “First of all, I want to know if she’s strong enough.”

“Strong enough to serve Tasdar?” The mere thought of it made Gertrude sick to her stomach. “I don’t understand why you need that!”

“If you don’t like that, you can leave!” he snapped. “You don’t know anything yet, otherwise you wouldn’t raise your voice to me. If it wasn’t for Tasdar, things would be different now!”

“And the world would belong to you, right?! Is that what you mean?” Gertrude looked fearlessly into his eyes. “If you want to take revenge on Tasdar for the way he humiliated you, that’s not the best way. Don’t you remember how you got Nigel involved? And what happened? Tasdar killed him when it was actually you who should have died! If this continues, many people will die.”

Roger calmed down a bit and turned back to the window. “Nigel didn’t die because he helped me. On the contrary, he refused to help.”

“Then why was he killed?”

“You misunderstood. The day Tasdar imprisoned Nigel and blackmailed him about the Order, I offered him to join me. But that’s not all. Nigel escaped not because I helped him. That same evening, Azarra appeared in the fortress and she did it. She saved Nigel.”

“So he died later than I thought?”

“I told you. You misunderstood.”

The woman turned away, undoubtedly offended by his words. He couldn’t see her face, only the curtain of long hair covering her narrow shoulders.

“You lied to me,” she snapped. “That night you said he was killed, but you didn’t mention anything about Azarra.”

“I don’t care what you think about that night or why you’re trying to figure out what exactly happened,” Roger crossed his arms over his chest. “The important thing is that I’m still here.”

“And you don’t care that if you don’t trust your servants, you might lose them,” Gertrude added. “If you want to be our ruler, you must be our ruler, not act like one, otherwise no one will be afraid of you.”