II

*Sorry for the late update, I'm still trying to fit writing into my new schedule this quarter. Thank you so much for all the love and support you guys are already giving to this book <333*

You can say that it's about others
When the truth is that its not
You make decisions without me
And I wish it would stop
-Mad Rain-

-Y/N-

"We are in the literal bottom of the Barrel." Jesper complained as we walked down the streets of the darker part of Ketterdam.

"Stadwatch don't patrol down here. We're safer." Kaz said.

Even the Barrel had it's brighter spots, like East Stave. But right now we were in high demand, so we had to stay low and away from trouble.

As we were walking, I suddenly I felt another heartbeat join us.

"Inej." I said, looking over to see her walk in pace with me.

Kaz looked over and he couldn't mask the slight bit of surprise that I had recognized her presence before he had.

"What did you find?" Kaz asked.

"We're accused of murdering Tante Heleen." Inej said.

"Wait, what?" Jesper exclaimed.

"We didn't do that, though." I said in disbelief.

"Wait, did you do that?" Jesper looked at Kaz, just in case.

Kaz gave him a look.

"It was Pekka Rollins, wasn't it?" I slowly came to the conclusion. "He framed us for murder."

Just when I though Rollins couldn't get any worse.

He took away my mother.

He took away my sister.

He took away my memories.

He took away my identity.

He made me work for him for years.

He gave me hope then stripped it away.

He put me in the Menagerie, took his share of my earnings.

He was the reason for every thing that went wrong with my life.

And considering I was part of Dirtyhands' crew, that was saying a lot.

My anger was hot and fiery, traveling in my veins, pumping purpose into my limbs. In this moment I wanted to take everything Rollins owned and loved and watch it burn in front of me. I didn't realize how deeply and intensely I was staring off into the distance until I felt Inej's hand on my shoulder.

"He wanted to punish us for taking the job after he warned you off." Inej told Kaz.

"But why take it out on Tante Heleen?" Jesper asked.

"She held the deed to the Crow Club." I said quietly as I connected the dots.

"Wait.... what? How? Why?" Jesper's eyes widened.

Because Kaz had sold it to her.

For me.

"We cut a deal so Y/N could help us with the Sun Summoner, so Rollins killed her. He owns the club." Kaz quickly explained. "Everyone who works there now works for Pekka Rollins."