Chapter Ten

Going through the swirling portal is far easier the second time around, this time I can walk across to the other side without having my legs sucked out from under me. The thought of Max spiraling downward still haunts me as I trudge along slowly, taking in the colors that meld into distant places that I've never seen before. I pause in front of one that is full of spring pinks and soft sunny yellows, hovering my hand just above its shimmering surface. My fingers grace the rosy entrance, cracking it open for a fraction of a second. The sweet scent of fresh flowers and honey fuses inside my nose, giving my body the sensation of a piece of velvet being brushed across my skin. I close my eyes against the magic of this secret sensation, it reminds me of all the times I would sneak out of the Institute finding myself in a place just like this with Meliorn. This deceiving realm belongs to the Fae and it's always dressed in an unearthly beauty that I know I will never trust. I never really did, especially after all the things the Seelie Queen did to Simon. Just as I'm about to turn away a tiny voice graces my ear, "A Lightwood as fair as the Fae Folk. Noble as a child of the angel. And as powerful as all creatures of the Downworld. Born of two worlds. The only question that remains is if it will unite or destroy?" I recoil away from the voice and the temptation of diving within the intoxicating Fae Realm, "You will never touch my baby!" I holler at the space behind me as I take off, running toward the far reaches of this plain to the entrance of the Institute and its creamy white walls. I half expected the voice to materialize into the mad Fae Queen reaching out to take me, maybe that's why my instincts kicked in as soon as I felt something graze my shoulder. I drop down, sweeping my leg out around me as I send whatever was behind me toppling over. The figure is tall, sporting a head of my same raven hair and those blue eyes that I would know anywhere, "Alec?" I call out incredulously as I rise back to my feet. My brother looks bewildered and a bit out of place as it seems he's tangled up in his leg which looks a little bent out of place. Quickly I reach out to help him to his feet, he gives me his hand groaning as he tries to straighten out his leg. "Izzy, stop!" He cries as he collapses back onto the ground, "I think it's broken." I look at him worriedly, "I'm so sorry Alec!" I say as I kneel beside him, holding onto his shoulders as I try to comfort him. He grins even though the pain must be intense, "What?" I say. His eyes twinkle, "Oh it's nothing," He begins. I shoot him an annoyed glance, "Come on Alec. I know you, what were you thinking?" I prod. He doesn't sigh he just looks at me like dad used to, full of pride that I was their daughter, and me his sister, "I'm just glad that my sister can kick anyone's ass, even if it is my own," He says as he flinches, pushing on his leg to set it back in place. It makes me cringe as I hear the bone snapping back into position. It's enough to make me sick, but being a Shadowhunter I don't hesitate. Jace would have barely batted an eye if he were here. But Alec is here with me so I reach down into my boot and dig out my stele. With no time to waste I quickly scribble out an iratze, watching the familiarity of the black mark coming to life. Alec's face flushes with relief, "That feels way better," He mutters. I can't help but giggle, listening to Alec's voice mixing with mine reminds me of when we were kids sharing in the delight of playing a juvenile prank on Jace. "Lightwood, will it unite or destroy?" The small voice hisses again, replacing our laughter with its voice in our ears. Alec's eyes grow wide as he stares at something that's hovering above my head. I don't want to turn around but I do it anyway. With my back now to my brother, I come face to face with a sharp-toothed pixie. She glares at us in tones of pink and beige reminiscent of a delicate flower petal, "Unite or destroy?" She chides. I shoot her a look that demands that she stay put before I turn back around, pulling Alec's arm around my shoulder, begrudgingly getting us to our feet. Alec and I stand together to face the snarky pixie who needs to get out of our way, "Shut up!" I snap as we awkwardly shuffle past her toward the rift that will take us home. He winces as his leg drags behind him, he needed more time to heal but we can't stay here. As we go along we can hear the pixie rampantly firing the question throughout the space in-between realms, "Unite or destroy? Unite or destroy? UNITE OR DESTROY!?!" She shrieks as she races after us. Alec glances over his shoulder, watching the pixie belting back into view, "What does she mean Izzy?" He says. "Nothing." I say as we finally reach the front of the swirling vortex, "Now let's get you through to the others". Through its beige tint you can see the distorted faces of people, Clary's red hair immediately stands out like a shiny beacon heralding us home. I give Alec a sympathetic look as he exchanges it for a worried glance, "You go through and I'll meet you there. But first I have to make sure this pixie has no ideas about following us," I say as I stare at the hovering pest who is nothing like a petite flower at all. "Iz, I don't think it's..." He begins, "Alec, please. Nothing's going to happen," I say as I leave my brother standing on the threshold of our home as I take off toward the pixie. "Be careful Izzy," He calls out after me. I give him a sideways smirk, "You have nothing to worry about. I can take care of myself, remember?" I say as I uncoil my whip and crack it through the air. It sings right past the pixie's left-wing coming into contact with nothing but air. "Missed me!" She sneers as she sways rhythmically side to side, partaking in some sort of mini victory dance. I glare daggers at her, "If I wanted to hit you then you wouldn't still be able to fly," I grumble securing my whip back on my wrist. "I have no intentions of breaking the Accords. So I will ask you once, what's your business here?" The woman stops swaying long enough for me to see her eyes shimmer red like two little angry rubies, "Will the little Lightwood unite the world or destroy it?" She questions as she points a spindly finger at my stomach. Instinctively, I wrap my arm around my torso as I stare defiantly at this creature, "I would like to think they will unite the world but I haven't met them yet," I declare. Her eyes dance with my answer, "Now will you let me leave?" I prod. The pixie sits there suspended in midair before she gives me a sharp nod and buzzes back to the safety of the pink portal, not taking a second before she dives back in, leaving me here all alone. With her gone I quickly trot over to where Alec was, watching the portal's surface as I take in the garbled image of my brother's blue eyes staring back at me. I can't help but smile, "You're going to be one lucky baby," I murmur, rubbing at the spot where they are growing before I walk through the opening back to my family.