Chapter Thirteen

I already combed through the kitchen and his room and they both turned up no Simon, just a pile of dirty clothes and crumbs. I feel worry begin to nestle its way inside my chest, where could he be? I try to push the feeling away as I feel a little hopeful about the last spot I'm heading to look. I breathe a sigh of relief as I see his mop of curls tilted over the cover of a book, nestled in his spot up in the rafters of the library. It's his favorite place to unwind and not to mention to hide from Jace when he's in the mood for a new sparring partner. Gingerly, I lift myself up to his spot. He must be really invested in whatever he's reading because just as I take a seat up next to him, he begins to flail wildly about. I've scared him to the point he about dropped the book and himself over the ledge. Quickly, I reach out and hold onto his hands as he dangles several feet away from the institute floor. "Izzy?" He belts out dumbfounded, as he uses all his upper body strength to pull himself back up. All without losing his reading material which is quite impressive. As soon as he's safely secured himself back upon the beam, he turns to face me, "Izzy it's really not safe for you to be up here," He says sheepishly. He's definitely still embarrassed that I snuck up on him and he about took a plunge off the rafters all in one foul sweep. Just as I begin to apologize I catch a glimpse of what he had been reading. The blocky cover reads, "What to Expect When Your Expecting". My heart melts inside my chest, I half expected him to be brushing up on his shadowhunter knowledge by reading a few pages of his codex. I didn't expect him to be reading a mundane text on how to be the best-expecting parent you can be. I lean in and plant a kiss on his cheek which makes them an even deeper shade of red. "What was that for?" He says softly as he places his palm in the spot where I kissed him, even to this day he still flushes pink every time my lips land on his. "That's for just being yourself, Simon," I say shyly, looking down at my palms that are clasped in front of me. After sitting in silence for a few seconds which is a feat in itself because Simon could ramble on and on with just about any topic he could think of. I half expected him to break the silence first, I surprised even myself when my voice began pouring out the words my mind was saying. "I thought you were mad at me," I say sheepishly shooting a quick glance at him. His features have crinkled together, reminding me of that time Simon had that same look plastered across his face when he lost all his memories. At least I know this look of confusion isn't because he doesn't remember who I am. "I guess I thought the worst while you were up here just being you," I say waving a hand toward him in a flourish. I can't help but feel like the worst fiancée ever. I had gone looking for him because I was the one who pushed him away. He has every right to be mad at me, I wouldn't even be upset with him if he was. But here he was unbothered that I had shut him down and went to bed. "Why aren't you mad at me?" I choke out as I feel the hormones beginning to kick in once again. "Isabelle, I could never be mad at you," He says sympathetically as he scoots over and wraps his arms around me. I lean into him, smelling the familiar scent of his favorite body scrub and the subtle notes of an earthy undertone. He places his head atop mine, talking into my mess of hair, "You could literally stab me Izzy and I wouldn't be mad because you did it." Hearing him say this makes me break away from him, now it's my turn to adorn a confused look, "Why?" I say in disbelief. He looks at me sheepishly as if his answer made complete sense to everyone besides me, "I wouldn't be the man I am today if it weren't for you Izzy. We've been to hell and back and the one thing that's never changed is that as long as I was there you were too. You've always held your hand out for me. Even when I couldn't remember who you were. I was angry then but I'm not angry now. I—I love you, Isabelle," He choked out just as tears began to stream out of his own eyes. I can't bear to just sit there so I lean over and bury myself in his arms all over again. This time around I shower his clothes with the tears that are streaming down my face. By the time they have stopped, I've already made a mess of the front of his black shirt. But he doesn't seem to care as he holds onto me with everything he's got because as long as we're together nothing's going to break us. Not even this wooden beam that we are balancing on.