chapter nine.

He rolled over in the queen size bed, the sheets falling to l around his waist as he checked the clock beside the table.

It was already almost three in the morning he needed to get moving for the day.

He sat up, pushing a hand through his disheveled dark hair.

The brunette in the bed behind him stirred. He heard the sheets rustling as she sat up too.

"What're you doing?" She asked, her voice thick with sleep.

"I gotta get heading back to the ranch."

She leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his chest. Pressing her naked body against his muscular back.
His hand fell to her bare thigh, his thumb rubbing a circle.

"Can you stay a little longer?" She asked her chin on his shoulder.

Rex turned his head, claiming her lips with his for just a minute.

"I can't, not today."

She faked a pout as he stood, then fell back to the mattress in his spot.

"When can I see you again?" She asked.

He pulled his underwear, jeans up, and then grabbed his shirt from the floor.

"Soon. I hope. I kind of have a lot going on at the ranch right now, but it will die down soon."

"If you'd call before I could make dinner."

He buttoned his shirt and tucked it into his jeans before tightening his belt and picking his hat up off the end of the cedar chest.

"I usually eat with the men."

"I know, I just thought it would be nice to do something else for a change...besides sex."

"The sex isn't nice?" He teased.

He walked to the bed bending down to take her lips in a deep kiss. She reclined against the pillow, and he followed her, his right hand sliding up her thigh to between her legs.

When she pulled away for a choked gasp, he grinned down at her. Then, he pulled his hand away.

"You're an ass," she teased.

"I'll try and call next time," He agreed.

He sat down on the end of the bed and pulled on his boots. When he looked back at her, she had fallen asleep.

He let himself out of her apartment. Walking down the sidewalk to his pick up and climbing inside.

Even though it was early morning and the sky was still dark, he could tell another rainstorm was coming soon. The rain storms made the pastures Muddy. The cows couldn't be held up in the barn much longer.

His mind wandered back to Nicole, the woman in the bed he had just left.

He supposed they were friends, they spoke when they saw each other. They were friendly when they ended up at the same events, but he knew very little about her.

They'd been sleeping together off and on for about two years. She never asked for more. She dated occasionally, and he would back off out of respect. Anytime they both were single, it was nice to have someone to spend time with.

The question was, did he want more? He never planned to marry or have kids. He didn't know what she wanted in her future.

He could start with a nice dinner, one where he wasn't focusing on just getting her clothes off would be a start.

He pulled into the ranch and parked near the bunk house. Walking inside and hoping for a cup of coffee before he had to start the day.

When he stepped inside Flora was already in the kitchen, the coffee was brewing, and a sweet smell hung in the air.
Flora moved back and forth, filling lunch bags for the day.