chapter eight

The next day, all the cowboys were working on repairs the storm had brought.

Flora was feeding some cows when she saw the rusty red truck.
She froze and fear clawed at her stomach, and her father had found her.

Rex was walking back from the house after talking to Mr. Wilder and he paused as he saw the truck approaching.

He glanced over at her where she stood holding some loose hay, barely aware she was shaking.

"Who the hell is that?" He asked, motioning with his head.

A muffled whimper was her only reply as the shaking grew worse.

The truck parked, and the door swung open, a worn-out brown cowboy boot hit the dirt, and then another.

Rex watched a man close the door. He was small of stature, his jeans were ripped and well worn, and his gait was stumbling an uneven.
Underneath a filthy white cowboy hat, long greasy blonde hair hung around his shoulders, his denim colored shirt stained with what looked like vomit and blood.
His beard was white and patchy, and when he got closer, Rex could see a fading black eye and a crooked nose.

Flora took a wobbly step, and Rex instantly reached out to catch her arm.

"Stay here, stay behind me," He warned.

She didn't move as Rex moved toward the man stepping in front of him a few yards before he reached her.

"Can I help you?"

"You own this place?" He dad asked.

"Can I help you?" Rex asked again, crossing his arms over his chest.

"The names Baldwin, Bubba Baldwin," Bubba held out a hand, and Rex ignored it.

"And?" Rex prompted.

"I'm here to pick up my daughter. She's been missing a few days now."

"Sorry I can't help you, you know the way back into town."

"Look, I thought the owner of the ranch might want to know who he is hiding here."

"He doesn't."

Rex didn't move, and her father glanced past him to wear Flora stood.

"I can just get her and be gone. I don't want no trouble."

"You bring trouble anywhere you go. I won't have it here."

"I thought you were supposed to be the quiet generous type. Everyone in town raves about Mr. Wilder and his kindness."

"I ain't Mr. Wilder," Rex said with a shrug.

"You said you owned this place."

"I never said that either."

"Hell, you're just a fucking stable hand. I ain't wasting my time with the help."

He father pushed past Rex and started towards her. She stumbled back a step and Rex pursued.

He caught up to her dad in two quick strides grabbing his arm and slamming the older man against the side of the barn.

"I won't tell you again, get out of here. There is nothing here that belongs to you."

"I want my daughter back!"

"You think we don't know what you've been doing to your daughter?! There's no way in hell she's leaving here with you."

"Her boney ass needs to be at home. Not living here shacked up with a bunch of men like a whole. Like her mother."

Rex grabbed the man by his shirt using it to propel him back towards his truck.