chapter twelve

The next late morning, Flora was finishing some breakfast dishes when Colby approached.

Rex was seated silently at the table, shining his boots.

"I was hoping we could go for a small ride today, maybe a picnic?" Colby asked.

"Colby," Rex warned.

"Let her answer, I near no disrespect," Colby said.

Flora glanced between the two men, Ruby had encouraged she get out more, and Colby was friendly. His advances were a bit forward but never cruel.

"I...I guess that'd be okay," she said softly.

She glanced at Rex again, but he was ignoring them both.

"I'll go saddle the horses. Can you be ready in an hour?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Great," He gave her a bright smile. He was handsome when he smiled.

He hurried from the building, and she dried her hands on a towel.

"You think that's wise?" Rex spoke.

"I...I don't know. Should I not?"

"You're an adult. Do whatever the fuck you want but I don't want any drama on this ranch. I won't bail you out if this goes badly."

He stood up and reached into his pocket  of his jacket and tossed down a small carload square with black hair scrunchies lining it, brand new.

"Don't cut your hair off," He added before exiting the house as well.

She picked up the gift, staring at it a minute before heading to the bathroom.

************************************

She exited the house with her new boots tucked into some blue jeans from Ruby and a purple button-up shirt tucked in.
Thanks to Rex, she was able to put her unruly blonde curls into a soft side braid.

Colby led two horses from the barn, a large palomino, and a smaller appaloosa.
He handed her the reigns to the appaloosa.

"You can ride, right?"

"Yes."

She took the reigns and watched him swing onto his own horse with ease. She glanced back at the barn where Rex was watching, scratching the ears on a large all black dog.

She swung onto her horse and, at Colbys prompting, steered it out towards the field and the mountains in the distance.

They rode in silence for several miles until the field seemed to stretch forever, and there was no sign of the farm or human life.
They reached a small stream, near it a large tree and the other side a tall mountain began its ascent.

"We can let the horses drink," Colby said.

He slid to the ground and led his horse down the embankment to the stream where it eagerly drank. She waited a second, glancing back in the direction she thought the ranch was, suddenly unsure.

"You alright?" Colby asked.

"Which way is the farm again?" She asked.

"Does it matter?"

"Kind of," she admitted.

"It's back that way," He pointed.

She glanced in the direction he pointed out, but it all looked the same. Rolling green fields and a darkening blue sky.
Carefully, she got off her own horse.

After leading her horse to the water and giving it a pat on the neck, they both sat on the embankment.

"You planning to stick around long?" He asked, breaking the silence.