chapter twenty one.

Ruby joined Flora for lunch the next day. The pair were seated at the island side by side.

Ruby leaned back in her chair, taking a long drink of tea before she spoke.

"So, how are things with Rex?"

"Good," Flora said quickly, maybe too quickly.

"Great, I'm glad, but honey, if it's so good...whose sleeping on the couch?"

Flora glanced at the couch and bit her lower lip, then spoke.

"Rex."

"Why?"

"He wants to, he said...he can't lay next to me."

Ruby took another drink of tea and glanced around the small house.

"Well, there nothing wrong with taking it slow."

"He wants to take me to dinner tonight."

"That sounds wonderful."

"I...I don't know what to wear," Flora admitted.

"Well, let's go look at your clothes. I'm sure we can find something."

Ruby grabbed her wrist and eagerly led her to the large dresser of clothes. Ruby was happy to do a makeover.

*************************************

When Rex arrived home, she was nervously waiting on the front porch.
Her hair is tight curls that make it look twice as thick.
She wore a black tank top that hugged what Ruby called her "assessets" and a red skirt that had some beading and fringe.
A red shawl around her thin shoulders to keep the cool night air from being unbearable.

"Honey, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I need a shower before we go anywhere," He said, stepping onto the porch.

"Oh, of course, I didn't think of that."

He followed her to the door when she turned to go inside, and his left hand fell gently to her waist, guiding her into the house.

Her heart skipped a beat, but she didn't push it off. She didn't squirm away as they stepped inside.

He moved his hand and hung up his hat, and kicked the door shut.

"I'll be ten minutes, tops." He promised.

She nodded as he pulled clothes from his suitcase and headed down the hallway.

She wondered why he hadn't bothered to unpack his things like she had. He was living out of a suitcase.

She sat on the edge of the bed, waiting a little impatiently for him to finish in the shower.

When he emerged from the bathroom exactly ten minutes later, he did smell better.

He'd combed his black wavy hair and trimmed his beard. He'd pulled on the same black button up he wore to their wedding and some nicer blue jeans.

"Alright darling, ready?" He asked.

She stood as he grabbed his hat from the hook by the door, noticing now the gold wedding band still on his finger.

They walked to the truck, he followed her to own side, and pulled open the door for her to climb inside.

She hesitated until he motioned for her to get inside.

They drove into town, and he parked at a small bar, only a few other trucks and cars in the parking lot.

He opened her door again, holding out a hand to help her down. She carefully let him him help her.

"You look... really nice." He said softly, his voice at least two octaves lower when he spoke.