16. 𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐘

♡-𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐘-♡

♡-𝐃𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐌𝐌𝐀'𝐒-♡

He's here... right now. Andrew Barber stood in front of us all giving a talk about being a district attorney, yet the only person he is looking at is me.

"Daymn, who created that hot piece of ass." Erin leans in whispering to me. I think Andy saw my reaction to what my friend whispered as I went wide eyed and I'm pretty sure red in the cheeks. I can see a small smirk forming at the corner of his mouth, before he turns to look at his presentation again.

He knew exactly what he was doing and this was my class.

"That's Jacob's dad." I whisper back.

"What? No fucking way." I shush her, trying to stop drawing attention to ourselves.

"Ladies? Is there something you'd like to share with the class?"

Busted.

Professor Higgins gives us both a disapproving look, the whole class looking our way. I slowly start sinking my chair, Erin being Erin is as bold as ever.

"Apologies Professor, we were just comparing notes."

"Keep it down, Mr Barber, if you'd like to continue without any more distractions." Higgins gives us a side eye before returning his attention to Andy who chuckles lightly before returning to his presentation.

"Seriously though, how can one man be so fine." Erin teases again, I can't help but laugh, causing another look from Higgins.

For the rest of the lecture Andy's presentation was actually very interesting. He touched base on all the roles a district attorney would be doing in a courthouse, all the different cases they got to deal with and how to progress up the ladder. My dream right now was to be a lawyer, to help defend the innocent, the ones who have nobody to support them... But in the long run I'd like to work up to a judge and who knows, maybe even supreme judge, that way I really will have a say and stop the innocent being convicted wrongfully.

"Ainsley..."

"Ainz?"

"Hello earth to Ainsley?" Erin shakes me, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh sorry, what's up?"

"Class... it's over."

"It is?" I ask confused, wondering how I managed to zone out for so long.

"Yeah, come on I'm starving and I hear it's meatball subs in the cafeteria." I rolled my eyes at my friend, she was always so food orientated. We both gather up our belongings and make our way down the steps towards the door, as we're about to leave I hear my professor call my name.

"Miss Garcia, a word." I give Erin a look and she agrees to grab me a sub and wait.

"Professor Higgins, is everything okay?" I ask weerily not sure why I've been summoned by my professor and why Andy is still here.

"Yes, now you can stop worrying you're not in trouble." I subconsciously sigh in relief.

"So Miss Garcia, as you are aware, at the start of the semester there were talks about how I want all my students to complete a set amount of hours out in the field as part of passing this course."

"I thought you said we would be starting that in the next academic year?"

"Yes, that is true, however each year one of my students is selected and put forward for an internship which will last until graduation, sometimes this student can go on to continue after they graduate and of course pass the bar."

"And what does that have to do with me?"I furrow my brows confused as to why he is telling me all this, there are kids in this class who are way more suited to getting this internship of a lifetime.

"Well, it's with my recommendation that I put your name forward for the position."

"M-me?" I point to myself, now really confused. I swear I catch Andy smiling from the corner of my eye but I'm too focused on my professor to really take in what's happening around me.

"Don't act so surprised Ainsley, you're top of the class."

"I am?" My professor shakes his head in amusement laughing as he crosses his arms across his chest.

"You've had an A on every single assignment we've done this semester, you have some real talent and I think you would really benefit from this opportunity."

"Well... thank you Professor." I can feel the smile growing bigger and bigger on my face, this is the first time in months I'd felt genuinely happy.

"You better get to the cafeteria, I hear it's meatball subs." I give him a nod, briefly acknowledging Andy too with a soft smile before leaving the lecture hall. I feel I'm holding my breath the whole way to the cafeteria to meet Erin, only signing in relief when I see my friend waving me down with the rest of our group.

I'd settled in quite nicely at Harvard, even though Erin was probably one of my true friends. We did hang out with other people, mainly the ones we studied with but they were actually quite nice to be around.

I barely get sat down before Erin is quizzing me about what I was kept back for. "Come on Erin, give me like 5 seconds." I laugh taking a bite from the meatball sub she'd saved me.

"Well I wanna know! Why did the professor and that fine piece of ass hold you back?" I choke slightly on my bite, Erin always had a way with words and wasn't afraid to say things as they were.

Still chewing on my sub I hesitate to answer, "He's putting me forward for the internship." I grab a napkin wiping my mouth, passing it off as not a big deal.

"Holy Shit A! That's amazing!" She grabs my shoulders, shaking me with excitement before hugging me.

"He's only put me forward, it doesn't mean I'm gonna get it."

"Of course you're gonna get it and then you can work with that hot piece of ass."

"Who's a hot piece of ass?" I nearly spit my drink out startled to hear my boyfriend's voice from behind me.

"J-jake? What are you doing here?" I look like a deer in headlights, I was still avoiding him for the most part and just felt so uncomfortable as I hadn't managed to pep talk myself up to seeing him.

"We have lunch at the same time on a Tuesday, I thought I'd surprise you." He leans down going to kiss me but I move my head so he only catches my cheek.

"That's so sweet, I'd love to sit and have lunch but I need to get to my next class." I stand grabbing my bag dismissing everyone, Jacob is quick behind me following.

"I thought you were done for the day?" He furrows his brows in confusion, knowing today was in fact my half day.

"I have extra assignment prep I need to do, I'm sorry we'll talk later yeah?" I don't give him an opportunity to answer, instead I leave my boyfriend confused as I rush off. Without turning back I focus on getting back over to my side of campus to my dorm, wanting to lock myself away for the rest of the day ignoring everyone and my feelings.

Finally making it back I hear my phone buzz in my pocket, I contemplate ignoring it but figure it's probably Erin texting to check up on me. Except it wasn't.

Andy:
I think we should talk...
Delivered: 13:36

Shit... I can't avoid him forever.

♡━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━♡
a/n: So is it a coincidence that Andy turned
up to her lecture? Is it a coincidence she's been put forward for the internship that is at Andy's workplace??

I think Ainsley really needs to deal with this Jacob situation 😬 and what does Andy have to say to her??

ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ᴠᴏᴛᴇ & ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ 💗
ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ 3000 ʟᴜᴄʏ xᴏxᴏ