Preparations for the ball

In the evening, Pippa comes back to Carlotta's room and sits with her on the edge of the bed. "You didn't choose all this and it's hard, but please remember that everything you do reflects badly on all of us. You are a wonderful person and you don't deserve to be in the spotlight like this, but you can make such a difference. Don't forget that!" Carlotta nods and says, "Thank you Pippa. For everything. You always tell me the truth, no matter how painful it is." Her aunt smiles and sits up a little higher to Carlotta. "How about we have a ball for all the villagers? And for our fine relatives who still put up with us?" asks Pippa and immediately Carlotta agrees.
They spend the next few days planning the ball, mostly outside in the garden. The three girls in particular get involved and create advertisements in the local newspapers.
They spend the mornings going for rides and the afternoons preparing for the ball. Soon it is clear: the ball will take place shortly before the end of the summer holidays and will also be broadcast live on television. They practise dancing a little and appearing confidently in front of the camera so as not to make a complete fool of themselves.
Then, a few days later, Mr Smith comes back. He has the portrait of Carlotta with him, as well as the family painting. It is a little unusual for Carlotta to see herself in a painting, but she quickly gets used to the sight and spends little time in the fireplace room anyway, especially as her father spends half the day there. She avoids him as often as possible and when they do meet, it often comes to blows because Benedikt is always meddling in her affairs.
The days pass and the day before the ball is approaching. The girls, just like the family from the village, help to prepare the large, long unused ballroom. Benedikt shoos them around all day, shouting down from above where things should go. Carlotta yells back at one point: "It's not a ball for our fine relatives! The villagers are happy to have a roof over their heads and you're destroying that too! Just let us do it and look at it afterwards, maybe you'll like it!" Offended, their father runs off and just lets them do it. Even June and Pippa help out in the kitchen to prepare the buffet for the next day.
By the time they've finished, it's dark and actually they're all tired, but as they haven't managed the costume rehearsal in the last few days, they still have to do it now. Pippa also sends the dressmaker to the village family so that they can get decent clothes too. If they weren't here, the ball probably wouldn't take place at all.
Even the fitting takes a long time and soon everyone falls tired into bed and falls asleep immediately.