Chapter 51 - 60

Chapter 51 - The Elders Council (9)

While the five Elders left the day after completing the scarification ceremony, Lin Qi chose to stay with Chu Yang and continue to observe his situation for a few days. It was also because there were surveillance cameras installed all over the mansion, so he could monitor the surroundings and perhaps see the man who was following Chu Yang again. Lin Qi went into the surveillance room every day and stayed there for hours, as if he wouldn't stop until he caught the man.

Frankly, Chu Yang hadn't expected Lin Qi to be so angry, as if he was a mother cow protecting his calf.

Unfortunately two days had passed and the man hadn't reappeared.

Lin Qi had to ask Chu Yang in detail what the man looked like and then sent a message to several numbers asking them to help investigate him to see if he was a radical from one of the other three organisations, or even from one of the smaller, more secretive ones.

Chu Yang had been restless for the past two days and kept looking out of the window from time to time. At this moment, he had the lights turned off in his room and was hidden behind the burgundy velvet curtains, staring out into the silent night and the stark darkness of the forest. His eyes blinked less often because he had been straining too hard and his contact lenses were becoming dry and irritating to his corneas. He closed his eyes with some difficulty, only to open them again and continue trying to distinguish all the shadowy shapes in the darkness.

Butler Liao Jingxuan knocked gently on the open door, "Mr. Chu, dinner is ready."

Chu Yang turned around and nodded politely to him, "Thank you, I'll be right down."

After the butler left, he looked outside a few more times before letting out a long breath and closing the curtains.

In the past two days, he had entered almost every room in this mansion. The precious paintings, sculptures and antiques displayed everywhere made him feel strange, as if cello strings were being plucked inside his head. Then a myriad of strange and demonic musical sounds would haunt his mind, lingering like an earworm, sometimes making it difficult to think about anything else. His fingertips began to itch frequently, wanting to touch the strings, to feel the subtle tremors emanating from the resonance of the wood, to transform the jumble of musical notes in his head into a real tune. Countless chaotic thoughts, like tangled strands of hair, made him unable to distinguish what it was.

At the same time, a sort of vague swelling and..... weird writhing sensation began to develop in his chest. The sinuous things that bulged beneath his skin twisted and turned like earthworms and he could almost hear the slimy, wet sounds that came from the writhing.

At such times he forced himself to walk away or to stop looking at the artwork. He also dared not listen to the vinyl records next to the gramophone; he was almost certain that the music on it would make his symptoms worse.

Perhaps it was a side effect of the Stigmata? Other than that, though, he didn't feel anything else different.

The dining room on the ground floor was set up with a long table big enough for a dozen people to eat together, with cutlery set up in front of only two chairs at one end. Lin Qi sat at the end of the table, looking through something on his phone. Only after Chu Yang sat in the chair next to him did he raise his head and out of the blue say to Chu Yang, "Have you ever heard of Shanghai Eighth Department Store?"

Chu Yang shook his head blankly, "This is my first time in Shanghai....."

"It's not really a standard multiversal observation point, but it's kind of an approximate multiversal observation point, it's not in all realities, but most of them seem to have it. There's also many rumours of hauntings, the one most commonly heard is that you can hear babies crying at night."