Chapter 16

"Hurst didn't come back again?"
The coach's harsh voice echoed through the room. No one answered and they just looked at each other's faces. Of course Dally too. Emilio looked at him questioningly, but he only shook his head. The coach did not hide his anger and cursed to himself, but loudly so that anyone could hear.
"I was wondering if it's getting better, but is it like this again? If it's going to be like this, let it go. Isn't this a playground, you come and go as you please, and this is a homeless shelter? What What's wrong with it? Garbage."
Even so, she spoke harsh words to Lucien, but she couldn't get angry or complain of injustice to him. Because Lucien hadn't even stood up for the rowing team since that day.
What the hell happened?
Dally was frustrated too, so he quietly practiced. Brad spoke when he had a break.
"Did something happen that day?"
he asked out of the blue, but immediately realized the meaning. It had been a week since they had gone out to eat together after training. So Lucien has been missing training ever since.
It wasn't just practice. I didn't even go to class. They only took a few classes together, but he wasn't seen even at lunchtime, when he was with Lucien, and no one knew anything about Lucien. Of course. Because I'm the only friend he has.
"Don't know."
To be honest, Brad blinked as if he had something to say. He released it with a sigh.
"I can't locate him and he doesn't show up for class. I haven't seen him since."
He rolled his eyes as if he didn't understand. He wanted to ask what had happened then. He was sure it offended him, but he couldn't figure out what the hell it was, so he was frustrated.
Why are you hiding without telling me?
I didn't understand why we couldn't see each other like this when we went to the same school. Shouldn't you be in class at least?
But she couldn't know anything about him. Because he wasn't answering the phone at all. Also, even though I asked the teacher, he didn't give any answer, saying that it was private. It was that Lucien was safe, so don't worry.
After a week like this, I start to get tired.
Why is he so narrow-minded?
If you're mad at me, shouldn't you talk to me and work it out? It's cowardly of you to suddenly hide. Or do you think I can't understand what you're saying? Are you saying you can't talk to me?
"That can not be true".
He muttered out loud on purpose. You don't know how you were able to stop the negative thoughts from flowing, but you should try not to. Unless Lucien says so himself, it's all his guess.
After sighing, he went back to getting on the rowing machine. After the last training, the coach declared that they would finally go to the lake and get on the boat from the next training session.
"Now that the ice is melted, we should go out. I'll decide the order when they get used to it. Let's do our best because we are going to measure the record."
He gave a few encouraging pats with the palm of his hand and announced his disbandment. They all dragged their weary bodies out of the training ground and headed to the dormitory.
Are you disappointed because I like someone else?
He was deep in thought taking a hot shower. It's the only way to think about it right now. Anyway, when you have someone you like, you tend to neglect your friends.
I can't believe you saw me as such an unfaithful man.
Still, maybe it's a natural feeling that she only wants Lucien, like him. But he already had someone he liked, and it was silly in the first place. There are several human relationships in the world and there are more emotions than that.
The most precious friend for me is you.
He thought that he would definitely say that when they met this time. You are not one of the friends, you are the best friend. So you don't have to worry.
He sighed, turning off the shower faucet.
So I wish you would stop disappearing...
But it was not easy. A day or two passed again, and finally, when he was almost giving up, Lucien called out to him. Almost a month passed after that.
"What's going on?
As soon as she checked the number and answered the phone, she suddenly screamed. On the other side, there was a reply after a brief interval.
"...Dally?"
"Of course, it's me!"
Calling out the name again with care, she suddenly relaxed and sat up in bed with a sigh.
"What happened? Do you know how worried I was?"
"...You were worried?"
Lucian asked. Somehow, the voice that rested and sank was pathetic. Was he sick or something? Suddenly, worries came and he completely forgot about his anger and cruelty.
"Of course, Luth. We're friends."
He said with difficulty the words he had prepared up until then.
"You are my best friend. You are the only friend I have opened my heart to after telling everything."
We have become friends who share my only secret.
He was silent for a moment as he added to his mind. What will you be thinking ? There were many things he was curious about and wanted to hear, but he held back. She was afraid that Lucien would tuck his tail back in after rushing, so she couldn't push him.
"...and if."
"Yeah."
He immediately responded to the first word she had spoken in a long time. Lucien gasped at the sound of a deep breath.
"What are you going to do if I'm not cute anymore?"
"That?"
"Answer me".
Lucien insisted when he inadvertently asked.
"What will I do if you change, if you are not small or handsome?"
It seems that he was very shocked to hear that he was like a little brother. He said it with all his heart.
"I don't care how you look, I don't...
"...any apparitions?"
Lucien repeated her words. Yes, he was repeating the same thing loudly.
"I don't care what you look like, you are you."
Again he was speechless. He wondered what expression he would put on, but of course he couldn't tell. He should have made a video call, he regretted it belatedly, but he held on. As she waited for Lucien to speak again, she couldn't help but open her mouth carefully.
"Practice, do you want to go out?"
Huh, I heard a shaky breath. In between, he replied.
"Now it hurts a little."
"Are you sick?"
The counselor definitely said it was fine. Is it because it is personal information? Wait, does a dominant alpha get sick? Surely you get it because you are a human being. But most diseases...
Lucien opened his mouth deep in thought.
"Don't worry, I'm going back to the practice room. I'm just resting because I don't feel well right now."
Suddenly, she remembered that Lucien had made the same promise before. The reason was different from then, but in any case, he immediately gained confidence in his words.
"When?"
I wanted to get a definitive answer because it was a tough call. Lucien will no doubt show up on that date if he makes an appointment. He asked with unfounded conviction. Then there was a low laugh from the other side, and her heart sank for a moment.
Why is my heart beating?
Lucien just laughed and it was strange that his cheeks burned. He shook his head like a dog to either side, his face hot for no reason, but brought the phone back to his ear. Lucien's voice came out.
"I can't promise an exact date. But I'll be back as soon as I can, I promise."
Maybe it's for the best. It is impossible for a sick person to promise to improve forever. He took a step back, thinking that this alone was already a great achievement.
"OK."
Lucien said, when she answered him without hesitation.
"Good boy, Dally."
It sounded like he was talking to a puppy. His face was distorted, but he decided to ignore it. It's not that bad. Instead, he did not forget to add a petition.
"You must come, Luth."
He kept transmitting what the coach said.
"The lake is almost completely melted, so we'll float the boat from the next training session. We'll decide the order. You're a reserve player, but…"
She hastened to add because she thought it would say what it had to do with him.
"If you do it right, you can become an active member."
He thought that it was really impossible as he spoke. But she had to make a noise to say something else to Lucien.
Lucien replied in a smiling voice, " Yes, you know how I feel." He felt a little relieved and smiled again.
"I'm going to hang up, I want to take a break."
Lucian said. The voice was full of exhaustion, so he couldn't take it anymore. After saying, " Okay," he said, " I hope you get better soon." After hanging up the phone, he suddenly thought that it was too quiet around him. I hear nothing. He took a deep breath intentionally, but it was getting emptier. After staring at the disconnected mobile for a while, he let out a carefree sigh.
I'm a little... lonely.
She thought she liked Lucien more than she thought. He lay on the bed alone, remembering the time he had climbed in through the window and shared pizza. Suddenly he woke up and opened his eyes, but the window was firmly closed and, of course, did not open.

* * * * *

"All right, everyone, stand up! Pick up the boat, move on!"
Following the coach's instructions, they lined up, took the boat and headed for the pier. Dally was very nervous because it was his first time floating a boat. The guys who were on the rowing team before him also seemed nervous for some reason. Maybe it's more excitement than nerves. The body that had to spend the whole winter inside the house with only a machine is finally on board.
"Be careful! Try to scratch your stomach, you're out cold!"
The coach yelled again. Everyone came to and moved in perfect order to leave the boat. He sat in the boat as the coach had decided beforehand, and it was number 5.
Not bad.
"It's a good result to have started just a few months ago ," he says. The goal, of course, is to be number eight. It is the member that is in front of the Cox. It is not easy to advance a number. But now that he's come this far, he's decided to do it. So practical both starboard and port. So you can go as far as you want.
"Row horizontally!"
The coach stressed again. They all responded at the same time and set the oars. Little by little, the boat began to enter the center of the lake. Today, the focus was more on actually driving a boat across the lake than on speed. It is about recovering the so-called common sense. He looked ahead, but Cox was nowhere to be seen from his seat. After seeing only the trusty nape of the one in front, he purposely clenched his chin to hide his disappointment.
The training went smoothly. It seemed to have had the effect of the training so far, so the chemistry seemed to work well. The trainer gave them instructions over the PA system from time to time as they rode into another boat from the side. Little words like someone getting the wrong rhythm, turning or pedaling a little more. Of course, they will tell you the details one by one when they come back to the training room. As proof, another trainer riding alongside them in the boat was seen diligently noting something down.
The distance of two kilometers was considerable. I thought I'd had quite a bit of practice on a rowing machine, but actually it was new to boating on water. Above all, he felt tremendous fatigue rowing with his whole body while enduring the resistance of the current. The coach, who decided that they had gotten used to it to some extent, demanded speed. They all sped up as if they were one body. As he rowed in another direction following Cox's instructions, the idea of Emilio, or thoughts, disappeared from his head. By the time they got around the lake, everyone was exhausted and there was no sound for a while.
"Well, everyone did a good job. Don't run away! I'll hand out all the things I've checked today, so please keep in mind everyone......."
The coach kept saying something, but it didn't sound right. Maybe I'm not the only one. After barely regaining their sanity, they headed from the pier to the training ground in reverse order. He was walking nervously and, suddenly, Emilio appeared. He laughed playfully and spoke to him in a friendly voice, who inadvertently was surprised and held his breath.
"What is it like? You're actually on a boat. It's definitely different from land, isn't it?"
"Oh well, that's right."
Do you feel responsible for having brought me to the team ? Emilio took care of me constantly. Of course, I liked his interest and I was very well received. What did the coach write about me? I was curious inside. I hope it doesn't fall too far. Emilio said, as if he had looked into my thoughts .
"You did a great job today, Dally. I don't know if you'll be an ace anytime soon."
"Really?"
For him, who secretly wanted to be number 8, it was something to be happy about. Emilio smiled and nodded.
"I took a look at the score sheet my coach gave me and there was an asterisk next to your name. That's great."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah."
Next, Emilio sent a hopeful message.
"I think there are high expectations for you. Of course I have them."
Soon after, the conversation ended because the coach yelled for them to get together. But he heard all there was to hear, and for him it was satisfactory. They, sitting on the ground as told, the coach explained the precautions and future training directions, as he had said beforehand. Hearing it, his head filled with the imagination of Emilio, Cox, who became number 8, and him, face to face, getting on the boat.

* * * * *

♪♬♬♫♪♩♪♪......
He went to the bedroom humming a song that came out of his mouth naturally. His body was heavy, but his mind was very light. As the sun grew longer, she finally thought it was spring when she saw the sunset beginning to set.
It's already April.......
Winter was already gone and warm air circulated everywhere. Spring break was over and he was busy with school stuff. As he bustled past, he suddenly looked up and saw that his surroundings had changed.
What happened to Luth?
The excitement she had felt up until then immediately vanished. He soon became depressed and his steps slowed. Since then, he has not been contacted again. The rowing team also said nothing more about Lucien and secretly concluded that there was no reserve member. Not even Emilio asked for Lucien. Of course, he too I am about to give up.
I want to know how it goes.
He was worried because he had heard that she wasn't feeling well at the end, but there was no way he could do it. I had no news of him anywhere and couldn't even locate him.
"Sighing."
It was then that he exhaled a deep, frustrated sigh again. Someone was standing in front of the door to the dormitory building that came into view. He blinked in amazement. A visitor at this time of year, what's up? He thought about it, but soon realized that she was wearing the same school uniform as him.
Do you live in another dormitory building?
It was a compelling reason. He guessed that it was probably because he often comes to see his friends or visits other dormitories for trivial matters.
It seems that he is waiting for a friend.
It wasn't even time to close the door, but there was no other reason to stay outside without going inside. He went on and on without paying much attention.
As he got closer and closer, his appearance became clearer. Is he as tall as me?... He looks alike. Subconsciously, he judged by looking at his back. Both his broad shoulders and back were quite large. He didn't seem to be fully dressed because he was still growing, but he looked pretty good just from being hidden in his school uniform.
Her hair was dark, close to black, cut short at the top of her neck, and the exposed neckline below was quite thick and long. It seems that you have trained your muscles quite a bit. He guessed from the school uniform jacket, that it seemed especially tight. There were no wrinkles in the neatly pressed school uniform, and a pair of shiny shoes showed under the exposed ankle. Standing with his back turned and with his hands in the pockets of his school uniform pants, he deserved a pass.
He's such a big guy that he's not to my taste.
When he was late because of the shame of looking at a stranger for no reason, he moved suddenly. He looked at her left wrist like someone looking at a watch, sighed so hard that his shoulders trembled, and then he stretched out his arms.
Have you been waiting a long time?
It was when he thought who he should ask and help who was waiting. The guy who turned his head and made eye contact.
uh .
It embarrassed him when he was caught peeping. She tried to avoid his gaze awkwardly, but her eyes suddenly widened.
oh? Have you met me?
She was startled by the unexpected reaction, and began to stride toward him. He didn't understand the situation, so he looked around, but there were only the two of them. When he looked straight ahead again, the person was still coming straight at Dally.
Have you come to see me? Because? I have never seen you before...
While his back was turned without understanding anything, he quickly approached him and stood in front of him. She couldn't make out who the hell it was, so she smiled brightly at him, just blinking. When she realized that his blue eyes were almost purple at first glance, she opened her mouth with her arms wide open.
"Dally."
So she hugged him. His eyes widened in surprise, and he stiffened. Suddenly, the strong arms froze his body. He quickly gasped, embarrassed and at a loss for what to do. The sweet aroma that he smelled for the first time filled the air.
What thing? What thing?
His brain was not working properly. How and what happened? Dally? Did Dally say? There is only one person who is called that.
He thought so far, but he buried his nose in her neck and took a deep breath. His breath tickled her throat and she made a giggling sound.
uh.
When he stopped at the familiar laughter, he whispered.
"I've missed you, Dally."
The voice that came out as a sigh was a good low tone to listen to. It wasn't the awkward growing up voice you've always heard. A clean but soft voice that seems to have grown completely. Then he suddenly woke up as if he had been covered in cold water.
"Now, wait, let me go! Let me go, quick!"
Screaming in embarrassment, she grabbed his arm and forced him away. Taking a step back from the guy who reluctantly let him go, he hastily looked across his entire body and locked eyes with his face again. It's unbelievable, but it was true. It was true, but I couldn't believe it.
His sudden growth was unbelievable. But when he looked at it closely, he couldn't deny it. She couldn't speak with her mouth open, but she managed not to yell and scream.
"Lucien, Luth? Are you really Luth?"
He smiled happily. He answered her in a gentle voice, horrified by the long, fine-folded eyes.
"Yes, Dally. It's me."
He added addressing him, who was unable to answer, stretching out his arms as if to look.
"I'm back."
The soft wind ruffled her hair. Sw stared at him with wide eyes unable to react. The sweet scent of the wind made him lose his mind once more.