part 9

"Haechan!" Taeyeon said, attracting everyone's attention to her line of sight.

He stood unharmed and healed at the doorstep of their house, a little dismayed but all the more healthy.

"Thank Dragnof, you're fine," Yoona said, checking him for any injuries.

Jeno stayed in the corner, leaning against the wall because he suspected that something was wrong. Donghyuck didn't seem his usual and it was probably what ticked Jaemin off as well who raised a brow at him in dubiety.

"Well, however it is you managed to survive, I'm glad of it." Taeyeon said before sharpness drew a distinct glare on her face. "But clearly Haechan, you could have waited for the rest of us. Trying to take off a hundred or more Goblins is a death wish especially considering the fact that a war strike from one of those hideous creatures is fatal to Dragon scales. Your anger was right in it—"

"Taeyeon," Irene called out. "Let's not, he's just come home, unharmed."

"Speaking of which," Henry added as if he was announcing something gravely important. "When was someone supposed to tell me that there's a protective barrier over us?"

That caught all their attention single-handedly.

Jeno cocked his head to the side in confoundment as Yoona narrowed her eyes.

"What do you mean, brother?" She asked.

"When Yuri was fighting a Goblin, she suffered a deep wound. Yoona, I almost lost her." He said, shivering at the meaning of that statement. Yoonaa patted his arm lightly in reassurance.

"And so we went to a sorcerer in search of aid and thankfully they did give us aid. The sorcerer said that someone had cast protective barrier spell over our House, which is what prevented us from dying. It was an incredibly powerful spell and no normal mage could even fathom to create it. Especially on such a large number, it's what saved her, Yoona, from the arms of death."

Everyone stayed silent for a moment, this was a lot to take in for the worry and throes of fear that had been building from the last week.

"I think," Irene said, with certain tranquillity. "That we all know that we have faced far too much for a week and we could we within our rights to rest for a night and discuss this with a better frame of mind tomorrow morning."

They agreed unanimously and in silence retreated to their rooms. All except Donghyuck who dropped himself on the chair in the living room, he sight flew to the emerald stone shining on his ring finger.

"Why? I'll be good I swear."

She dropped her hand to his chest, in the purpose of pushing him away but all she could hear was a heartbeat.

"Because you're not in your frame your mind," Yeseul said under her breath, in response to which he bent his head to touch hers.

Donghyuck wondered what she would do if he was absolutely within his conscious self.

Would she lean in, closer to his heart than his lips or push him away anyway? God, she was such a problematic Fae, he hadn't felt anything close to this for since he could remember taming his fire.

The worst of all, Donghyuck couldn't figure if it was going to drag him down or hold him steady.

And the protective spell, on the other hand, Donghyuck had a pretty dependable hunch who could have casted it.

"You're alright."

He looked up at Jeno. "Seems like it."

"Where were you for a week anyway?" Jaemin said, crossing his arms