Talent Show and Sick Day

Alaska stood with Jake, Trixie, and Spud in front of a trophy case. Spud was excited about the trophy. "Forever. I've been waiting forever for Principal Shepard to announce the school talent show." Alaska smiled at her friend and had hope he might win. 

"Here we go again." Trixie wasn't so excited since Spud hasn't spoken of anything else. "This is my year, Trix. I can feel it." Alaska patted her friend on the back.

 "Love the confidence, Spud, just try not to get cocky." "I won't, Alaska." Jake then came up and gave his input on the matter. "Uh, Spud, you say that every year." 

Spud smiled and continued his rant. "But this time, I'm gonna do it. This year's trophy is the nicest one yet." The four walked off so they could get to class, but Alaska let out a sneeze. It sounded like a kitten's. 

"Aw, that's your sneeze?" Alaska raised a brow at Spud. "What?" "It's just so cute." Alaska crossed her arms. "It's a normal sneeze!" 

The half-gem then coughed a bit but shook it off. Soon they reached Spud's locker, and he rummaged through it like a pack rat. "Okay, I know it's in here somewhere." 

He threw an umbrella behind him, and this made Alaska confused. Where'd he get all this stuff? "Ah ha! Or should I say, Voila." Spud was now wearing a magic hat and cape. "Spud the Spud-nificent, magician extraordinaire, ready for action." 

Trixie put her hands on her hips and gave a deadpanned look. "Hey Spud, I'm thinking maybe this talent show thing, ain't the best idea." Jake then came in with proof. 

"Trixie's got a point. I mean, remember last year?" 

"And the year before that?" 

Alaska shook her head and started to sweat and feel hot. "And the year before that?" Alaska sneezed again. 

"At least the hatchets were made of rubber." 

"Trust me homie, rubber don't make the nightmares go away. Okay?" 

Spud then threw his arms up. "Okay, okay, forget about the hatchets. This is about a dream, man. My great-grandfather was a magician, and he taught me to never give up." "Too bad he neglected to teach you magic." 

Alaska leaned against the lockers and Jake took notice of how pale and flushed she looked. "Alaska, are you okay?" Alaska stood straighter and took a deep breath. "I'm fine, Jake, I'm fine." 

Trixie felt the girl's forehead and her eyes went wide when she felt how hot it was. "Snowflake, you're burning up. We gotta get you to the nurse." Alaska shook her head and her legs started to shake. 

"No, I-I'm fine, Trix. I'm..." Alaska slumped over and Jake caught her, wrapping her arm around his shoulders so he could support her. "Woah, Alaska, I don't need to be a magician to see you're sick. You gotta get to the nurse." 

Alaska nodded and let Jake help her to the nurse's office, he kept checking on her to make sure she was okay. "Mrs. Cunningham, Alaska isn't looking too good." The nurse came over with a thermometer and took Alaska's temperature. 

"Hm, 105.3, I'm gonna call your parents. Mr. Long, could you stay with her until they get here?" Jake nodded and helped Alaska sit down in one of the chairs and he sat next to her. Alaska leaned on Jake's shoulder and closed her eyes. 

"Jake?" "Yeah?" Alaska controlled her breathing and kept her exhausted body awake. "Can you tell me a story, to keep me awake?" 

Jake nodded and thought of a story he could tell her. "Um, once there was a dragon, he was strong enough to take on monsters. One day he meets a girl, she could make snow fall in June if she wanted with her powers. He was cautious when he walked up to her since he hurt his wing an hour ago fighting ninjas."