Chapter 20: Just the two of us

"You did what?! "

Finney was pinned against the wall with full force, his collar in the hands of the Vance Hopper, who looked ready to commit murder.

Finney tried desperately to get the taller one's hands off his collar, but to no avail.

"L-Let go of me Vance!" he begged, but the blond wasn't listening.

He looked to the others for help, but they all looked away. Well, everyone except Robin and Gwen.

The boy just looked at the floor, holding his hands together and playing with his fingers, his previous attempts to stop Vance from pinning Finney against the wall were unsuccessful, while Gwen just looked at him in shock.

"You did what?! Finney that's suicide!" she finally found her words, and Vance, glaring at him with horrific anger, nodded.

"What shit did that guy promise you?! That he wouldn't touch us?! The asshole is lying!" he hissed, and Finney flinched.

Finney wasn't naive enough to fall for that, he knew the man was a liar who could tell lies so believable that everyone would believe him until it was too late.

"He didn't promise me anything! If you let me finish- and you let go of my damn collar, I'll explain everything to you!" he tried to convince the others somehow, but something, maybe the part where he admitted it was his idea, made Vance freeze.

"THAT is what you meant by Finney being more mature than we think?! Oh my goddamn god, Robin! You knew what he was up to?" Paperboy looked horrified at Robin, who just nodded and pressed his lips together.

"Of course I did. It's easy to see Finn when he's going to be a self-sacrificing idiot. But he's got a plan, okay? So let him fucking explain." he sighed, and Finn finally managed to free himself from Vance's hands.

He could definitely breathe easier, but he felt the gigantic guilt begin to build up inside him.

He knew he was an idiot for just lying to the others, saying he wasn't up to anything stupid, because he knew he was going to do something stupid like that.

With unsteady steps he ran to Robin while the eyes of the others were on him.

Immediately he took his hand and looked at him encouragingly, albeit without a smile. Still, Finn felt a certain security blossom within himself, the same one he had felt earlier that day.

"So what are you up to?" Robin looked at him skeptically, arms crossed in front of his chest.

Finney felt the lump inside his throat swell up again.

The plan had just blossomed in his mind, and yet he decided to do it.

Was it stupid? Yes.

Would he probably die in the process? Maybe.

"What - oh you know when I lie, don't you?" Finney tried to keep up the smile, but he just couldn't. Robin knew him. And he knew Robin.

"So what are you up to? I know this face doesn't mean anything good for you. The last time I saw it, you tried shifting the blame from me to you." he sat down besides Finn.

They two were in the hallway, alone.

The others were outside, giving them their minute.

Finn didn't know what they thought they were doing, but it felt quite good to just tell someone.

"You are going to think I am crazy, and.. don't be mad, alright?" Finney sighed, and Robin fell quiet.

He knew it was serious and probably dangerous.