Chapter five: I am alone (but I am not)

Finney smiled softly at Robin, as he opened his front door.
Robin had insisted on walking Finney home, especially after the boy mentioned that Gwen was with Suzie.

"As if I would let you go home alone after this.. incident." he meant, and to be honest Finney had only argued for so long because he didn't want to come across as desperate.

The tanned boy was what Finney considered safe, someone he could always count on, no matter the moment. So he didn't see it as a problem that they ran to him together.

"And you really don't want to come in?" Robin looked at him apologetically, shaking her head with a sigh.

"I still have something important to do." he shrugged, really not looking too enthusiastic.

Finney rolled her eyes and grinned slightly.
"You have detention, don't you?" he teased, causing Robin to cross his arms in disgust.

"For my best friend to jump straight to such accusations." he sniffled, but Finney could clearly tell he was playing it.

Robin always had that twinkle in his eye when he was acting or joking. That broad, luminous sparkle made his heart beat faster.

"So what have you done?" Finney couldn't help but smirk.

The long-haired one snorted indignantly.
"Tragic how you think of me."

"Mrs. Smith heard you curse about her." it was more than a joke, but Robin laughed. He would have had more wild theories but was carried away by the laughter. Robin just had a laugh that made you laugh too.

"It's because of a fight a few days ago. So don't worry, I can always curse the old hag. I'd be surprised if she spoke Spanish." Robin stretched his arms and crossed them over his head while Finney could only shake his head.

Oh yes, Robin had that sparkle even while he was fighting.

"Moose?"

"Moose."

Finney snorted in amusement.
He knew he wouldn't react that way to others.
Often he had heard how he and Vance were compared.

But Finney felt the two were different sides of the same coin. Robin was.. different. Vance was scary, even if Finney wouldn't admit it. He didn't want to give other people more reasons to dislike or bully him.
For a few moments the both of them just stood there.
The air was still a bit cool, but not as acrid as it used to be in months like November, so it wasn't too uncomfortable.
Even in November he wouldn't have gotten cold. Not in such a situation. Robin was warm.

Robin was alive.

However, their moment of comfortable silence and occasional stifled giggles was cut short when a noise came from the street.

Finney felt himself tense, unconsciously taking a step toward the front door, his eyes torn away from Robin.

And the tan boy reacted in a similar way.
With a big leap he took himself further away from the street, although he was already standing on the sidewalk.

“¡Maldito hijo de puta!" he screamed out, looking angrily at what made him jump.
His eyes widened as a car drove past them.
Only a car. Noting else.

No van.

Finney looked at Robin, then back at the road and the slowly retreating car.
However, the tight grip around his entire body, the burning and trembling of his hands could not calm down until the car had completely disappeared.

Maybe he should get himself some water inside..
Robin was the first to pull himself together.
"Are you all right?"

Finney was silent for a moment, taking a deep breath.
He didn't want to panic again in a way that made him run away.