Chapter Eight: Silver Dragon

(Cursed Sword Arc)

"Here we are, now we're going to have to do some hiking," Rose said. Ren felt a worming in their stomach. 

"I need to go grab Schrod," Ren said. They ducked into the back of the ambulance. They grabbed Schrod the cat. "Maybe I should bring a drink for the hike." Ren absentmindedly grabbed a can. 

"Get down!" Rose yelled. Hex used his telekinesis to stop some arrows from flying at the crew. "Is everyone alright?" Ren watched from the window; they used the strap around their waist to hold the can. 

"Shit! We're under attack," Ren thought. Rose took the knife out of her purse while Hex summoned his sword. A group of people stepped out of the tall grass at the mountain base. One of them caught Ren's eye. He had long maroon hair in a ponytail and he wore a blue top with long sleeves and blue pants. White fur lined his shoulders. "He looks like bad news."

"Ren, he's a magician," Orochi hissed. Baguette and Ratto started to bark at the group. The other people wore different shades of blue. 

"Are you after the cursed sword?" The guy asked. 

"Ren, from this smell he's the same age as you," Baguette barked. 

"This is bad....Baguette and the other rats are defenseless against these people. And Hex is stupid," Orochi said. Ren opened the side door facing away from the people. They slipped down from the ambulance with Schrod in hands. 

"Schrod, what are the chances that these people will leave us alone right now?" Xs formed on the cat's face. "Shit, well it was worth a chance."

"Captain, there's someone there," a man with a blue cap said. He pointed at Ren's direction. "Reveal yourself." Ren walked out from behind the ambulance. They had slipped Schrod back in. "Just some kid."

"We must ask you to leave the area," a different man said. Yuka appeared behind him. 

"That sword is mine." In her hand she held a dull knife. She pressed it against the man's throat. "Now step away."

"Yuka! Stop that! We can settle this peacefully!" Rose yelled. 

"You're the lady holding a knife! And they shot arrows at us," Hex snapped. 

"Ah forgive us, my lady," red hair said. 

"Oh god not another," Hex sighed. "Not a woman."

"OH you're a man!" He exclaimed. "So would you like to go out to dinner?"

"I'm a ghost, I can't eat," Hex answered. 

"Hold it right there!" Ren yelled. They ran over with their scissors. "Don't you dare! This is a trick!"  

"Ren.....It's not," Orochi said. 

"Ren.....I want dinner," Baguette barked. 

"But we just had breakfast," Ren said. They drew their scissors from their satchel. "Auntie, can you try to settle this?"

"Captain Nazara, this is the cursed devil," the man in the blue cap said. 

"Then I apologize, but I'll have to take her in," Nazara, the red haired one said. He slipped a sword out of his sleeve. 

"That weapon must be made out of magic," Ren thought. Yuka disappeared from behind that one man. She appeared next to Ren and grabbed their hand. "Yuka!" Ren struggled to keep a hold on their scissors. The drink attached to their waste sloshed around. 

"Hold them off!" Yuka yelled. Ren stumbled up the rocky path. The trees around the two were but a blur. "Ren!"

"What just happened?" Hex asked. Nazara's blade stabbed through his spectral form. Hex stared at his shoulder. "I wasn't ready!" Hex tried to swing his sword at Nazara, but an arrow pierced his hand. Hex's sword disappeared into thin air. "I can't summon it back!" Hex noticed the dogs running around barking.