Chapter Nine: Ren and Yuka

(Cursed Sword Arc)

"Yuka! Wait!" Ren yelled. Yuka had grabbed Ren's arm and dragged them up the mountain path. Surrounding them were trees and grass. "What about the others?" Ren dug their feet into the ground and let their arm go limp. Yuka stopped in her tracks. 

"I bet she's going to murder you," Orochi hissed. 

"I'm out of range of Baguette's telepathy," Ren thought. Yuka stared at them for a while. "Look, I want to go back and help my Aunt and Hex. I feel bad for just ditching them."

"I want to find the cursed sword....And for you to know about me!" Yuka yelled. Ren backed away from her, their body trembling. "That felt nice to say."

"Orochi, are you there?" Ren asked. They started to feel numb deep down. "I'm going to go."

"Ren! Stay and hear her out!" Orochi snapped. 

"I'm sorry for yelling," Yuka said. Ren tilted their head like a dog. "I just like seeing you," Yuka said. "You'd be cute in a more revealing outfit."

"Oh gosh not a girl version of Hex," Ren thought. "Yuka...." 

"But well....I grew up grave digging and eating corpses......And my papa would often use me for weird things," Yuka confessed. She grabbed Ren's arm. "I want you to know this."

"Oh gosh..." Ren trailed off. 

"And my mother's dead," Yuka added. She pulled Ren into a hug, burying her face in Ren's chest. 

"Heck yea! Suck it Hex! I'm getting girls!" Ren thought. They tried to push Yuka away out of instinct. 

"You're loud," Orochi hissed. The snake slipped into Ren's shirt. Yuka finally let go of Ren. 

"Ren, you need to know one more thing about me..... I am the incarnation of the Ash." Yuka grew long red horns from her head and her nails morphed into claws. Her sclera was dyed black. 

"I ate the corpse of a demon so I became it

"I ate the corpse of a demon so I became it." Yuka took off into the thicket. 

"Yuka! Wait!" Ren yelled. "So she really is a demon or at least a sort of almost one," they thought. Their body felt sore and achy. "But.....She's like me," Ren thought. 

"Ren......Is it about what happened at the apartment complex?" Orochi asked. Ren chased after Yuka. They chanted a quick spell to gain strength. "It's not good enough."

"I have a plan," Ren thought. They imagined giant white wings growing from their shoes. A swift wind kicked up, pushing Ren's back. "I haven't felt this since I was a child!" Ren dashed over rocks and past bushes. Ren followed after Yuka. "She's strong.....No wonder she could touch Hex."

Yuka stopped at a small wooden shack. "Ren! This is it!" Yuka yelled. 

"Yuka, I'm sorry all of that happened to you. I don't know all the details, but it sounds rough," Ren said. They walked over to her. "I can't fully understand what you're going through, but I'm here for you."