Chapter Twenty Six: For An Old Friend

(Mecha City Arc)

"I got a message from Li!" Ren sat on the hotel bed scrolling through their phone. "He says he has to meet us at the cafe, there's an emergency."

"If it's really an emergency he'd have his family there," Rose said. "It's probably nothing. Ren stood up so fast that Orochi fell out of their shirt. 

"I don't think Li's joking. We need to get down there," Ren said. "I just have a gut feeling."

"Nah it's best if we just leave the city. I don't think the people here like ghosts," Hex said. He gestured to the wooden cross on the wall. 

"Okay, that's just a symbol," Ren stated. Hex pointed to the shelf with sage all over it. Then he gestured to the fridge, inside was a bunch of holy water. "You'd think they would put that in a water gun or something." Ren shoved Orochi in their shirt and put on their jacket. 

"There was a movie like that," Rose added. She came out of the bathroom. "Let's go see your friend then." The group made it to the ambulance and towards the cafe. Rose had to park in a giant lot nearby. Ren jumped over the wall and ran into the cafe. "That's impressive!"

"Is everyone okay?" Ren burst into the hotel and almost fell over. Lira sat down on a chair with puffy eyes. Li stood near him with a hand on his shoulder. "Li?"

"Koi was taken yesterday," Li answered. He didn't even turn to look at Ren. "Miss Oto and I had to take her." 

"Why? What?" Ren asked. Rose and Hex followed behind them with the animals. "You said you didn't need to arrest her." Ren slipped their stylist out of their satchel. 

Li shook his head, "This city isn't perfect. While these independent buildings are powered separately a large majority of public machines share one power source. Of course this is extremely draining on the natural resources."

"Has anyone tried to fix this?" Rose asked. 

"See? This is why I had my reservations about this place. At least the girls are cute," Hex said. 

"Li....I'm sorry," Lira whispered. His orange hair hung over his face. "I'm sorry, Koi."

"To remedy this there's a machine named Reaper. It has the ability to drain human life force and turn the human body into power for this city."

"What the....." Ren stared at Li, "So this city runs off dead people?"

"Yes. There's a reason why lots of mages get arrested for just trying to use magic openly. Mages have stronger energy that can be used to power the city. Koi was taken," Li answered. 

"But why not Lira? He's half spirit so wouldn't he be stronger?" Ren asked. Rose gave them a small look. 

"I think they're trying to lure me out," Lira answered. 

"So Koi's going to be turned into a power source?" Rose asked.  "I'm not sure I understand all of this."

"I just feel awful that Miss Oto and I had to be the ones to do it. Why not someone else or Master Multi?" Li shook his head. 

"It's okay......It's okay," Lira's voice broke. Ren walked over to him. "Ren." Ren knelt down by him. "Catch me," Lira fell over into Ren's arms. 

"That's too bad," Hex commented. 

"How is that even possible?" Rose asked. 

"Machine has surpassed magic," Ren answered. They sat on the floor with Lira. He lay his head against Ren's chest. 

"I want to get Koi back. The process will take the whole day, meaning that we have time," Li said. "Will you help me?"

"We're supposed to leave the city today," Rose cut in.