Chapter Thirty: Uncovering the Truth

TW-Mention of Alcohol, Mention of Suicidal Ideation

Things may not have gone the way you had envisioned.

You didn't end up dancing with Sebastian at The Flower Dance. You didn't get to wrap your arms around him and sway slowly to a beautiful, romantic song. You didn't get to gaze into his eyes, bat your lashes at him, and hope that he would kiss you underneath the setting sun. You didn't get to ask him to walk you home, and hope that he would come in.

Instead, Sebastian had turned you down when you asked him to dance. Then, Abigail had taken everyone by surprise by going public with her relationship with Sebastian's half-sister, Maru. There were still so many unanswered questions about the two. How long have they been together? Did something happen between them, and that's why Abby had been so miserable lately? Why had Abigail been throwing herself at Sebastian recently, if she actually loves Maru? You hope, now that they have not-so-subtly announced their relationship to the whole town, that maybe you will find the answers to those questions. Above all else, you hope that they can be happy now.

Shane had saved you from the embarrassment after Sebastian rejected you, and then you asked him to take you home - where you wound up almost making one of the biggest mistakes of your life. You can't help but wonder how Shane is holding up after everything that had happened between you two. You look forward to watching him grow throughout his recovery, as a person, as a father, and as your friend.

Had it not been for Shane, you may not be where you are right now. You wouldn't have found the bouquet until tomorrow morning. You wouldn't have gone to Sebastian tonight. Sebastian wouldn't have taken you to the overlook, and you wouldn't have given him the bouquet.

Now, you and Sebastian - your boyfriend - are sitting together on the cliff side and enjoying the view. The glimmering skyline, the twinkling stars, the sloping mountainside, all of that fades to gray. However, with the perpetual smirk that is painted on Sebastian's face, the softness in his eyes, the light blush on his face...the view certainly is incredible.

You could get used to this.

No, things did not go according to plan this evening, but you wouldn't change it for the world.

You nestle into the crook of Sebastian's neck, his arm wrapped snugly around your waist. Your eyes flutter closed, as you savor the warmth of his skin.

He places a soft kiss against your head. "Are you getting tired? We can go back, if you'd like."

You shake your head. "I don't want to leave yet," you murmur against his sweatshirt.

"It's getting late," he counters, brushing the hair from your face with his gentle fingertips. "I know you wake up at six every morning. You must be exhausted."

"You're worth the loss of sleep," you assure.

Sebastian lets out a soft chuckle, the deep rumbling you feel against his chest from the vibration of his vocal cords fuels your desire to melt further into him. Despite this longing to stay pressed closely to him, you follow his direction eagerly when he dotingly grasps your chin to guide your face back towards his, for possibly the dozenth time this evening. Only this time, he softly brushes his lips against yours, but before you fully connect, he moves past your face to graze his lips against your ear. "Good," he hums in a low voice. "I have plenty of wasted time that I need to make up for."

A shudder courses through your body at his words as they dance across your skin. You loop your arm around him and place your hand against the back of his neck. "I guess that we'd better get started, then," you breathe wantonly.