Chapter 6: Dreams from the Box

Blaze was happy when his family got home. At least he didn't have to see River for a while. As soon as he got home, he secluded himself in his room. He was seething; she was a demon. How did she have so many people fooled? Igni wouldn't stop talking about her the whole way home. 

River is so cool. River is so nice. River, River, River.  

He hoped he would never have to hear about River again. The way so spoke was so unnerving. Blaze wondered how so could be so calm saying the things she did. He should have never told her how her skin felt. River would never let it go. She was going to keep tormenting him. It felt like blackmail. She could hold so much over him. Blaze hoped maybe some rest before dinner might help him calm down. Closing his eyes, he was so tired; why was it so hard to fall asleep? It felt like his eyes had been closed for an eternity. There was a tapping at his window, and he tried to ignore it, figuring it was the overgrown tree next to his home. The tapping continued this time in a pattern. Laying over on his side, Blaze opened his eyes, seeing River sitting in the chair beside his window. Her finger tapped gently on the window. Blaze sat up as quickly as he could.

"What the fuck are you doing here? Get out," he whispered. 

River just smiled that menacing gentle smile. 

"Are you going to say anything or just sit there?"

Blaze watched as she stood up, walking to the edge of the bed. It made Blaze nervous. She crouched down, got to her knees, and rested her head on the edge of his bed. 

River whispered something, but he couldn't hear her. 

"What?"

River smiled, using her fingers to beckon him to come closer. Ignoring reason, he got closer to her face. She got close to his ear and whispered, "Please."

Moving away, he looked at her. 

She spoke again, "Please."

He wanted to say yes but knew he had to say no. He opened his mouth, but all that came out was "Ok."

River smiled so sweetly. She got off the floor and climbed into his bed. She was still wearing that outfit. He just wanted to rip it off her. Blaze reached out his hand and held the side of her face. Her skin was so cool. As she leaned her head into his hand, he kissed her. He could feel her lips curling into a smile. The lying made him so tired; he did like her. He loved hearing her say please. River pulled away and looked at him.

Blaze looked at her, confused, " What is it?"

"It's too quiet."

"What?" he felt a strange sense of unease. 

He could see her mouth moving, but her voice was too faint. 

"I can't hear you."

"Dinner will be ready soon." her voice sounded distorted.

"I don't understand."

River smiled and pushed him down on the bed. Trapping him between her arms. Her eyes turned black and all her teeth became pointed.

"Stop lying to yourself."

He tried to speak, but he couldn't.

"Tell her the truth." River smiled, leaned into his ear, and whispered, "Wake up."

All at once Blaze shot his eyes open. He pulled both his hands up to his face. He could feel his body covered in a cold sweat. 

"Fuck." He rubbed his hand across his face into his hair.

He liked how she said please, loved how her skin felt. Dream River was right. But just as much as he liked things about her. Blaze hated her entitlement and how reckless and selfish she was. He especially couldn't trust if she actually liked him or was trying to trap him.  He was not ready to sacrifice the comfort of safety for having to look over his shoulder just to kiss her. It wasn't worth the risk.

"Dinners almost ready! Come help set the table, Blaze!" He could hear his mother yelling.

Blaze got up and changed his clothes so he wouldn't be covered in sweat. Opening his door, he made his way down the stairs. Only Ember was in the living room watering some plants, and all his other siblings were in their rooms. Blaze walked to the kitchen, and his Mom handed him a stack of plates stacked with flatware and napkins. 

"Thank you, Blaze."

"No problem."

He walked over to the table and began putting out the plates. He then realized something was off. There was an extra chair and an extra plate. 

"Mom, who's coming to dinner?"

At that moment, there was a knock at the door.

Blaze watched as his Mom walked to the door. " River. Igni invited her to dinner but didn't tell us until an hour ago. 

Fuck, he thought to himself.