Chapter 10: Memories of the Past

Blaze had woken up to see River was gone. He looked around the cavern, even down the hallway to the room. She was gone. He sat on the pillows, looking at the ancient books trying to make sense of the weird symbols. The cavern was warmer now. Maybe because it was morning and the sun was out. He could have left, but something was keeping him there. She wouldn't leave him here, right? he thought to himself. Blaze heard a splashing of water, and it was River. She had a little red box with a handle.

"Hi, sorry if I startled you."

"Where did you go?"

"To get food. Figured you might be hungry."

River sat down next to Blaze, putting the box down.

"I've never seen a box like that."

"I found it in the ruins. When I brought it up to open it, it was completely dry inside with books in it. I use it to bring food here."

River opened the box, and inside were fruits, bread, and glass bottles of water. Blaze was amazed to see so much food.

"That's a lot."

"I figured we would need food for the day. Is it enough? I can also grab some fish."

He laughed, " It's plenty."

River smiled softly and reached over to a green apple. Taking a bite, she laid back on her pillows. Swallowing the bite, she spoke, "What are you going to eat?" She took another bite of her apple.

"Hmm. I'm not sure." Blaze looked over the box and then leaned down and kissed her. Her lips were a hint of the sour green apple. " That's a pretty good apple can I have a bite?"

River laughed, " Only because you asked nicely." She raised the apple to his lips, and he took a big bite.

He chewed and swallowed his bite.

"I noticed something when I was swimming back and forth."

"What's that?"

"I don't need to hold my breath underwater anymore." River took another bite of her apple.

"Did you grow gills?" Blazed leaned over and took another bite of the apple.

River swallowed her bite before laughing, " No, I think there is air in the water."

"Air in the water?"

"Yea, I can see it sometimes. There's another one, but I can't breathe it."

"Do you know what it is?"

"No. If I can't use it to breathe, then it seems pretty useless."

"You'll find a use for it." Blaze stole another bite of the apple.

River took the last bite of the apple. She chewed the bite before swallowing. " What about you? Find out anything about your new gift?"

"No."

"Have you even tried using it?"

"Nope."

River sat up, placing her hand on his cheek. "If we are going to control this, then you need to practice."

"I know, but I'm worried you'll get hurt."

"I'm not made of porcelain." She leaned over and kissed him. Pulling away, she smiled. River looked over to the pool of water in the cavern.

"Lightning and water are a dangerous mix. We should go practice in one of the rooms in the hallway."

He smiled back at her as they both stood up. She grabbed his hand, and they both walked through the hallway until they reached the middle.