Chapter 17: Hard Promises

After the beach Blaze took her back to the small home before going home himself. It wasn't long after Blaze left that River heard a knock at the door. Blaze often left things behind, sometimes River thought he did it on purpose to have a reason to come back. 

"You can come in Blaze," River was in the bedroom toward the back of the home. She got up to meet him at the door, "You don't have to..." It wasn't Blaze at the door. A strong fear came to her, " Hello, Cyrus."

Cyrus smiled at her, she couldn't find any hint of anger on his face, " Hello, River. I see you took me up on my offer. Judging by the bruises it was pretty bad?"

"Yes."

"You could have come to me."

"I didn't want you to see me like that. It was very bad."

"But ok for Blaze to see you like that?"

"He already knows about it, you did tell him." 

"I'm sorry, I did."

"I'm not upset. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you, I honestly wish I didn't have to tell Blaze."

"I understand. I wish I could tell Blaze to stop seeing you but we both know that won't happen." 

River realized she had been caught. She took a seat at the small dining table. "I'm sorry."

"Saw you both at the beach. How long has it been going on?" Cyrus took the chair across from River. 

"Seven months."

"You both have hidden it well then?" Cyrus smiled at her.

River had a small breathy laugh, "Yes."

"Anyone else know?"

"Igni and Ember. Tide and Kai."

"Your brothers were ok with that?"

"No, but they know they get no say in how I live my life. They listen to me. The only reason they found out was because I had to tell them to get them to bring me here."

"That's good. If the circumstances were different, I would love to have you be a part of Blaze's life in that way. But the circumstances are what they are. I don't think you would end it."

"I wish I could. I really do. He's so kind and..." River's eyes began to well up, "I'm sorry, I will if you want me to." 

"It's alright. I can see it's difficult. Can I ask you something else?"

"Of course."

"If he breaks up with you, let him go. Don't fight it. Promise me." Cyrus' face only had concern. River did not sense any maliciousness.

River only hesitated a moment. She respected Cyrus. She felt the tears running down her face, "I promise, I'll let him go." 

Cyrus reached over and placed his hand on hers, " I'm sorry things can't be different. I really wish they could."

They both sat a moment in silence. River felt Blaze was so lucky to have a father who cared about him. 

"I should go. You don't have to go home. You can live here if you want. But if you do go home, this place will always be yours to come to." 

"Thank you, Cyrus."

River watched Cyrus leave. She couldn't hold in the pain in her heart. Holding her face, she cried, wishing things could be different.