Narcissus

Every surface of the cell is covered in padding, arranged in such a way that it is impossible for me to hurt myself. If I could find some way to strip away the slick plastic covering and get at the foam beneath, I could suffocate myself. I doubt it, though. My captors have gone to a great deal of trouble to bring me here, unharmed. Now that they have me, they will not want to lose me.

I sit back against the wall, facing the cell door. When they come for me, I want them to look me in the eyes. I want to confront them with the enormity of the crime they are going to commit. I am not disappointed. The spy-hatch in the door opens, and a pair of mirrorshaded eyes look in - a small patch of darkness in the whiteness of my prison.

"Stand up," a monotonous voice orders. "Keep your back against the wall. Keep your arms against your sides. Make no sudden movements."

I do as I am told.

The door opens. Two anonymous individuals in black uniforms enter first, their expressions blank and unreadable behind reflective visors. Each of them is holding a shock baton - an unnecessary reminder of their power here. A woman in a smart skirt suit follows them in. Like her guards, she shows no visible emotions. A red LED mounted on the side of her sunglasses flashes in time with the indicators on their visors. All of them sport identical Bluetooth earpieces.

"You have recovered," she says. From the tone of her voice it is not a question, but I find myself nodding in response. "Do you have any complaints?"

"Plenty," I say. "But it's not like any of them are going to matter soon."

The woman steps closer. I look deliberately into her eyes, but all I can see is my own reflection. Defiant. And pathetic.

"Why are you so hostile to us?" she asks. "What makes you such a holdout?"

Is that genuine curiosity in her voice? "You surrendered to it," I say. "So you would never understand. It's an individuality thing."

"Individuality is an aberration." The woman's voice is soft now, with a hint of pity. "It is an abnormal mental condition. But we are civilised. We will cure it." She taps her earpiece. The two guards do likewise. "We have achieved unity. And through unity we have achieved clarity and happiness. Do you not want to be happy?"

"No." I shake my head. "But you're not going to offer me a choice, are you?"

"No. But did you ever have one as an individual? But every part of us is precious and loved. As you will be. Could you say that as an individual?"

The two guards move towards me. I could try to escape, but there is nowhere left to go.

"Precious and loved," the guards echo.