The First Sip

It was a hot day, and the trail had been long. They had broken camp just before dawn, packing up their bedrolls and supplies, then stowing them in their packs for the hike. It would take them most of the day to make it to the top of the ridge, and they wanted to get there while there was still enough daylight.

"Are we ready?" the guide asked.

There was a chorus of 'Ayes' from the rest of the group.

"Alright. It's going to be hard climb today. The trail is obvious, but it can be steep. There are places where the going gets rough, and you may have to use your hands to keep your balance. But, so long as we take it sensibly, we should make the ridge before sunset. We can make camp overnight, then come back tomorrow." The guide glanced around the party, and grinned. "And I can promise you that the view at dawn tomorrow will be spectacular."

The first part of the hike had been easy - a gradual climb through the woods. The canopy of leaves shaded the group from the morning sun; the scent of resin and sap filled the air. However, as the group emerged from the trees and onto the side of the ravine, the ascent became steeper. The ground underfoot was stony and unstable. Care had to be taken, and sometimes an unfortunate step would send a loose rock down the slope, accompanied by cries of protest from those it narrowly avoided. But worse - now they were exposed to the full heat of the sun.

At first the heat was bearable. The breeze that followed the river down the ravine carried drops of moisture that absorbed the sun's strength and took it away. But, as the sun approached its zenith, even that small amount of protection was lost. Shirts were shucked; scarves were unfolded and draped over heads and necks. The temperature of the ravine increased, and waves of distortion filled the air.

About noon, the guide pointed to an overhang that lay just off the trail "We'll stop there for an hour. Let the heat pass, then get on our way?"

The party huddled under the slab of khaki rock, with barely enough room to move. Every breath was full of hot dust and the stench of drying sweat.

"Time for a drink," the guide said. "You've earned it."

But the first sip of water from the canteens was so sweet, so welcome.