Listening Mode

As the minister took to the podium, she was greeted by stroboscopic waves of light and the clicking of cameras. She lifted her head up and smiled for the crowd of journalists and party hangers-on, then glanced down at her notes to remind herself of the contents of her speech. It would be embarrassing if she gave the wrong speech - if not fatal to her career. Reassured that this was the right speech, the minister took a deep breath and grasped the sides of the lectern.

Silence fell.

"I'd like to thank you very much for coming here today," the minister began. It was tempting to look the press pack in the eyes and to face them down with the sheer weight of her authority, but she knew better. Instead the minister followed the advice of her media consultant and focussed her attention on the television cameras at the back of the hall.

"As you are no doubt aware, our nation faces a time of great uncertainty. Our way of life - our very society! - is threatened by events and crises. So, to meet the coming storm, I must ask the citizens of this nation to stand together and stand with us.

"Of course, there will be privations. We will ask our citizens to tighten their belts and to make economies. We will ask them to be patient as we mobilise our resources. We may even ask them to forgive us should their liberties be temporarily curtailed. But - always - we will remember why we are doing this. And we will remember that we are a democracy, where our citizens will always have a say."

The minister took another breath. "So, I am pleased to announce our National Conversation Initiative. All citizens are invited to contact their elected representative - whatever party they are from - and talk to them. It is only through active participation in this National Conversation that we can judge the mood of the nation and take appropriate action.

"The times ahead will be hard. But we wish to be compassionate. We wish to be caring. But, most of all, we wish to be listening."

The minister picked up her notes and nodded to the audience. "Thank you." Then she stepped back from the lectern.

A babble of voices rose up behind her.

"Minister - may I ask - ?"

"Minister! Could you clarify - ?"

"Minister, would you please - ?"

An aide stepped forward to take the minister's place at the lectern. "Ladies and gentlemen!" he announced. "A statement will be issued shortly, complete with a table of prepared answers ... ."