Of the Old School

"Come in. Sit down." Mr Dominic gestured at the empty chair in front of his desk. "Thank you for accepting my invitation."

I did as I was told. "Well, I couldn't refuse. Could I?" I glanced back over my shoulder at Big Sal. Even an expensive suit couldn't hide that Sal was a goon. "Especially when you send this palooka to deliver the invitation in person."

Big Sal grunted.

Mr Dominic laughed. "You know me. I'm old-school. Too many people send an email or a text message. But for me, there is nothing like the personal touch."

"And I appreciate it."

The gangland boss got up from his chair and lifted a cut glass decanter from the bookshelf behind him. "Can I offer you some refreshment?" He held the decanter up to the light so I could see the amber liquid inside it. "I got a nice scotch. Or ... ." He picked up a clear bottle that gurgled when he shook it. "How about some vodka? It's a present from my Russian colleagues."

I shook my head. "No thanks, Mr Dominic. It's a bit, um, early in the day for booze. I like to keep a clear head. But, if you have any coffee, that would be good."

Mr Dominic's chair creaked as he eased his bulk back into it. "Hey! Sal! You heard the man. Get him an espresso. A proper one - y'hear? And while you're at it, get me one as well." Mr Dominic gave me a questioning look. "I take it you'll have an espresso?"

"You know I like my coffee dark and sweet," I said.

"You heard the man! Get!"

Behind me, Big Sal grunted. He padded away, silent as a neutered tom. It was only when I was alone with Mr Dominic that I felt brave enough to take the initiative. "Alright. You didn't just invite me here for a coffee. What is it you want from me?"

"Ha! You know, I like your attitude. It's old-school." Mr Dominic waved a hand at me; his rings sparkled in the light. "You remember when we were both starting out - you in your business, me in mine?"

"How could I forget? You persuaded your father to give me a loan. I paid that loan back, but I've always been grateful for what you did for me."

"Sure." Mr Dominic leaned forward. "But do you remember what you said to me on that day?"

I nodded as the words came back to me. "Of course I do. I said any time you needed a favour ..."

"... I was to come and ask. And I said that one day I would. Well, today's the day."

I sat back in my chair. Both of us were businessmen of the old school. Our word was our bond, and all the rest of that crap. "Alright." I pulled myself upright, smoothed down the lapels of my jacket and put on my best shit-eating grin. "Let's talk a deal."

What else could I do?