1- Waiting

"When's mom coming back?" asked my brother for the millionth time.

" I told you I don't know"

"Is she ok?"

" I don't know"

"Is she coming back?"

"Damien please. I don't know anymore than you do about mom so stop asking questions."

My mother had gone scavenging two weeks ago and she still had not come home. The longest shes ever been out of the house is three days and now I'm realizing that maybe this time she won't come back at all. Everytime I look at Damien it kills me to think that I might have to tell him that our mother is dead, that we can't stay in this house forever, that sooner than later we have to get out in search of food and water because our supplies is running low.

"Emma."

I looked into his sad eyes and saw how scared he was for mom. "Yes Damien."

" If mom doesn't come back will you still take care of me?"

I fought back tears and I ran across our small living room to hug my brother. "Of course I will silly. I will always be here for you no matter what."

"Promise?"

"Pinky promise"

At that he smiled and gave me another hug.

"Now are you ready for bed?"

"But we didn't eat today."

I looked at him and knew that with no food, we could no longer stay at this house. The house we were raised in. The house that sheltered us through so many hardships.

"I know Damien. But today is our last day here. Tomorrow you and me are gonna go on an adventure."

"But what if mom comes back?"

" That's what the adventure is for. We're gonna go find mom" I was lying. I had to. I couldn't bring myself to take away a 10 year olds mother and leave him with no hope of his mothers survival.
A big smile grew on his face.

"We're gonna find mom?!"

" Yep just you and me. Now go to your room and pack all your clothes and anything else you need. Today is our last day in this house."