Making Pancakes

"You ready?" Y/n asks as he ties an apron around his waist in the kitchen. He had his attention on Shikimori who does the same and smiled brightly to the boy.

"Yup!~" she said as they turn to the counter in front of them. Y/n takes an egg.

"First, crack some eggs..."

The h/c taps the egg on the bowl and splits the eggshells in half, getting some yolk to fall out. "Now you try..." he hands an egg to Shikimori, staring at it in her palm before cracking it.

Crack!

Or slammed it on accident as she glanced towards Y/n who was doing his best to not laugh.

"It's fine, it's fine... That's why we have a lot of eggs..." he hands another egg to Shikimori and grabs his own. "Watch me..."

He demonstrates slowly for Shikimori to copy and did what Y/n did.

It wasn't as good but it was passable, Y/n was in charge with the measuring with the pancake powder, butter, strawberries, and milk. Of course he taught her on the way as he hands the bowl to Shikimori.

"You wanna mix?"

"Sounds fun..." Shikimori takes it and starts mixing the raw ingredients up.

At least she doesn't have trouble with that...

While she mixes, Y/n got the stove ready with the pan on top and adjusted the heat a little. Once Shikimori was done, he took the bowl back for her next directions.

"For your batter, we take the spoon here and we take a scoop... Afterwards, start from the middle of the pan and pour it in a circular manner..."

He does exactly that and turns to Shikimori.

"Think it looks easy enough?"

"Yeah... and what about flipping?"

"It takes some patience but it'll be worth it... Right now, it's not ready since..."

He stared at the raw batter on the pan. "...we literally just started..."

"Oh, okay..."

"We just have to wait for a bit... Let the pancake bubble up until it stops and the edges look golden..." Y/n explains as the process for the patience and flipping took some time.

"...It looks ready now..." he grabs the spatula and slid it under the pancake. "...and..."

Fwoosh...

He flips it.

A perfect golden color with the hint of strawberries peeking from the blanket of their pancakes.

"...Ugh... Perfection..." he moans happily and turned to Shikimori.

"You got it down?"

"...Kind of..."

"I'll be here to help you out... You don't need to worry..."

"O-Okay..." Shikimori answers as she prepped her first pancake on the stove while Y/n joins in with a pan of his own.

...

Y/n knew things could've gone well in the aftermath.

Yet at the same time, things could've gone south if Shiks' skills were truly horrible...

That's what he thought to himself as his perfect stack of pancakes were standing right next to Shikimori's first attempt of pancakes.

They weren't bad, he's not gonna lie.

Way better when he first made pancakes when he was a kid as he turns to the girl.

"...On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate these pancakes you made?"

"...Six?" She answered.

"...and before I taught you, how would you rate it?"

"...Probably a three..."

"...That's an improvement, right?"

"If that's what you think, I guess it is..." Shikimori smiles softly as Y/n and her took their apron off and hung it on the handle of the stove.

He goes to wash his hands in the sink.

"I'll bring out the butter and the syrup... Wash your hands and just head over to the table so we can try the pancakes out..."

"Okay..." Shikimori nods and walked to the sink where Y/n stood-

Fwoosh...

In seconds, Y/n reacted slowly when Shikimori suddenly tripped towards him. The girl fell towards his way and her body suddenly lands on him, the h/c propped his back on the corner of the sink as he caught her in her arms.

"Oh, jeez... You... okay?"

He hasn't realized yet but the second they made eye contact, they were awfully close. It didn't take long for them to turn pink however, their emotions and reactions took time to process this moment.

"...Hey..."

"...H-Hi..." Shikimori answers softly.

"...You... You alright?"

"Y-Yeah..."

"...I didn't hurt you... did I?"

"...No..."

They continued to stare into each other's eyes for what seemed like eternity. The proximity between them as their breaths were barely audible.

"..."

The two didn't know but the second they did, they were leaning towards each other. Both of their eyes widened as Shikimori propped herself off from Y/n while Y/n stood straight up and felt embarrassed about the whole thing.

"...Th-The pancakes..." Y/n said awkwardly.

"Yeah..." Shikimori soon realized that as well as Y/n and Shikimori went back to what they were supposed to do with Y/n taking a second in the kitchen to reminisce what had transpired.

"..."

He tapped a finger on his lips.

"...Were we really going to kiss?" He asked himself and glanced at Shikimori who stared at the pancakes all by herself.

He shook those thoughts off. "...No... Let's not overthink this... Just focus on what we were doing today: Making pancakes..."

Y/n decides not to push on with the matter any longer as he took the utensils, butter, and syrup towards where Shikimori was and smiled.

"I got the syrup..."

"Oh... R-Right..." Shikimori said softly as the two dug in to their pancakes and before they knew it, were in awe at such delicious pancakes that they made today.

A perfect ten out of ten.