A Long-Expected Party-With An Unexpected Guest

Gandalf

With my favorite pipe in my aged mouth, I hummed the merry tune, "The Road Goes Ever On and On" as I drove the pony-led cart on my way to Hobbiton.

This day was to be one of celebration indeed, as Bilbo Baggins was celebrating his Eleventy-first birthday. Quite a long life, if you ask me, but then Mr. Baggins had always been peculiar, so I thought nothing of it for now.

As my cart came up to the bridge over the Brananduin river, however, I noticed something even more peculiar in the water.

Gently flowing in my direction, a small mass of dirty, drenched but very colorful fabric approached. As I looked closer, I was shocked to discover a full head of bushy, curly black hair accompanying the fabric. Someone was facedown in the water, drowning, if not already dead!

I quickly stopped my cart, hastily set down my pipe, took off my hat and quickly climbed down from my cart, grabbing my wizard's staff as I dismounted.

I approached the river's banks, waiting for this poor soul to approach my position. When the unfortunate victim was mere feet away, I lowered my staff into the water and carefully hooked it underneath what appeared to be the torso. Cautiously, I pulled the body toward me.

When I hoisted my find out of the water and onto the banks, I rolled this circumstantially destitute on to their back.

I drew a sharp breath. A young woman! No older than her mid-teen years!

As I looked upon this young woman, I noticed a couple of most unusual things: her eyes bore a pair of spectacles with unusually bright green rims. Her clothing was also the most intricate, unusual print and stitching I'd ever seen.

Admiring this strange work of textile would have to wait, though. This poor girl's lungs and stomach were probably still full of water. I set my staff down, carefully straightened her arms and legs to allow for proper disposal, and placed my hands on her stomach.

With a firm but gentle push, I pressed down. Nothing. I pressed again, pressing a little deeper this time. I heard the subtle movement of water, but still nothing yet. Hoping I would cause no injury, I pressed down a third time, deeper and firmer than the first two attempts combined.

Water messily spouted from the girl's mouth as she awoke. Immediately turning on her side, she choked and coughed, spewing unnaturally large amounts of water from her stomach.

For several minutes, the process continued until all water emptied as the girl fought to control her breathing as she coughed and heaved. When her stomach was finally empty, she lay back down on the ground and closed her eyes to rest herself.

A slow, steady rise and fall of her rib cage finally denoted the process was completed.

"Are you alright now, my dear?" I asked politely, not wanting to cause any further excitement.

Apparently, I failed.

The young girl screamed and flipped on to her right side, eyes wide with fright.

"My apologies, child," I said hastily, holding up a hand. "I did not mean to frighten you."

She propped herself up enough that she steadied on her arms. "Who...are you?" she asked, puzzled.

I was puzzled myself at her question, but perhaps the ordeal slighted her memory.

"I am Gandalf the Grey," I responded, a warm smile smoothing over my face. "I just saved your life."

The puzzled, confused look didn't change, but the girl at least took the moment in stride. "I am Mirabel," she said. "Mirabel Madrigal."

"Such a strange name, but a lovely one," I commented. "I'm guessing Mirabel is your given name, and Madrigal is your family name?"