Chapter 1

About two years ago...

I push open the heavy door, and as I step into the school building, a long and dimly lit hallway stretches before me

I push open the heavy door, and as I step into the school building, a long and dimly lit hallway stretches before me. Surprisingly, rays of sunlight manage to seep through the rain-filled clouds, casting a soft glow on the old, prestigious school's interior. White, elegant lockers line the walls, giving the impression of a place of refined taste, despite the inclusion of such opulence within the school's design.

As I reach the end of the hallway, uncertainty grips me.

Am I supposed to walk up the stairs in front of me or take a turn? If so, to the right or left?

The unfamiliarity of the surroundings unsettles me, and I find myself turning back to scan the hallway for any indication of the right direction without a clue to guide me.

Nothing.

Suddenly, a hushed murmur emanates from upstairs, piquing my curiosity. With a sense of urgency, I follow the noise, hoping it might lead me to some answers.
My steps carry me to a first-floor hallway where parents sit with their teenage children, engrossed in conversation or nervously awaiting their turn. The atmosphere is tense, and I can't help but notice the angry boy, who is about my age as I walk past him and his parents.

"Oh, don't be upset Dear. Maybe you will be able to get in next year."

The mother is putting on her jacket as the family prepares to leave.

"Upset? I am not upset. I am fucking angry."

The boy yells out as tears start running down his face.

"You better not talk to your mother like that boy!"

The father shakes his head and the family leaves the hallway.

I take a seat on the last chair in the hallway which is right next to a door. As I lay my backpack on the ground, my attention is drawn to a TV hanging on the wall.

"So Josefine, tell us more about you. We know enough about your parents already."

The interviewer is sitting on a chair behind a desk with a huge smile on his face.

"What would you like to know, Jimmy?"

A girl with blonde hair and friendly demeanor looks into the camera.

Pretty.

"How about your school life? I heard you are attending THE academy of Bourgeoise."

The man looks excited.

"I am and honestly I can not believe it myself. I mean-"

I suddenly feel a gentle nudge on my shoulder, interrupting my trance.

"Hello there. I just noticed that since you arrived you have not yet filled out your form?"

A woman sitting next to me is watching me knowingly.