Chapter 13

Damien POV

My mind raced with thoughts of Airy. She already knew about us, of what we were. She wouldn't be able to fit in this world, let alone rule. My wolf kept fighting me on that note, saying that he had enough strength for two and would protect her, even from me. I wouldn't be surprised. 

Although my heart towards Airy was getting softer with each passing day, I simply didn't want to acknowledge it fully.

When she looked into my eyes and told me to let my wolf out. I couldn't help but think that she knows more than she is showing. 

I arrived at the airport and met several Alphas from my neighboring packs, as well as Xavier. I couldn't bear to see his disgusting face. He was the reason that place was operating this long in the first place. But I knew I had to keep my cool and put on a united front for the other Alphas.

As I boarded the plane and settled into my seat, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease. The next ten days would be crucial for the future of our kind. We were approaching a time of change, and I knew that my decisions would have a significant impact on the pack.

But for now, I had to focus on the meeting ahead and put my personal feelings aside. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, readying myself for the challenges to come.

As the plane took off, Fian, one of the Alphas, sat beside me and struck up a conversation. He was the most amiable of us, and despite his lower-ranking status, he was allowed to call me by my name. We had a good rapport as friends.

"How are you doing Damien?" he asked, his voice full of concern.

"I'm fine," I replied with a sigh. "How's your life?" I asked, trying to steer the attention away from myself.

Fian turned towards me and leaned back into his seat. He wore a smile that was about to break out on his face. "Alice is pregnant," he said, and I felt a pang in my heart. I imagined myself in his position, wondering how I would feel if I were in his shoes. I quickly brought myself back to reality.

"That's really good news, brother. Congratulations," I said, genuinely happy for him. He had found Alice, his mate, a year ago when he had helped a pack that was attacked by rogues. Thankfully, his mate was unharmed.

Fian turned to me, his expression turning sad. "Any news from your mate?" he asked hesitantly.

I looked at him for a moment before answering. 

"No," was my curt reply.

"You need to look for her, Damien!" he said, his tone urgent.

I gave him a stern look. "I don't need a mate, Fian," I added, trying to put an end to the discussion.

He just sighed. "We all said that at some point, but trust me, the moment you find her, you won't even be able to leave her side," he said, shaking his head. "Like I wish I was at home with Alice right now," he added, his eyes distant as if he were imagining his mate standing at the corner of the plane aisle.

Sadly, I knew what he was saying. The need to constantly check on Airy, to make sure she was okay, was eating me up inside. The mate bond first affects the wolf, but slowly starts to spread the bond's feelings to the human. We were one soul after all.

After the plane landed, we went to the conference room where every Alpha of the country was gathered. We had a problem to solve, and it involved rogues and vampires. Although they were calm, they started emerging and breaking our treaty of 200 years. There were a few human deaths within their territories. As the law enforcers of the supernatural world, we took care of any wrongdoings.

 Not like we were saints.

A few meetings a day and no sleep had left me feeling drained. All I wanted was to be back home already, and thankfully this was the last day of the conference. After finishing up, Fian and I decided to grab a few drinks at the neighboring bar. It was good to catch up with him, and for a moment, I let my guard down around him. Fian was one of the few alphas I trusted and considered a friend.

Eventually, we finished our drinks and headed to catch our flight back home. David, one of my most trusted warriors, was already waiting for me when I went down the airplane ladders. The drive home was excruciating. I couldn't shake off the feeling of unease. I needed to make sure she didn't try to escape and that she was okay. Alex, didn't report anything suspicious, so I assumed Airy had behaved herself.

During the time away and the drive, I kept in touch with Jay, one of my closest pack members, reminding him not to make any unnecessary conversations with Airy.

My brain was scrambled as I stepped out of the car. As if my legs had a mind of their own, I walked towards Airy's room. It was 11pm and Jay was standing there. He wanted to acknowledge me, but I shook my head, telling him there was no need to speak and to stay quiet. I had stayed away an extra day because some problems arose while we were away and had to be discussed. So, Airy probably thinks I've been back since yesterday.

I heard her calm breathing and assumed she was asleep and safe. I left for my office, where I had some paperwork to take care of. Time flew by, and as I was getting up to leave, a loud crash noise came from outside. It sounded like someone had crashed into the gates of the pack house. I went down to check it out, and there was Cain, my younger brother. He's a drunkard, an alcoholic who wants to ruin his life. He does more than drink; he was never in his right mind.

Cain had crashed into the gates of the pack house with his car. As I walked closer to the car, he got out unharmed and stumbled towards me, "Alphaaa, Brother, nicc-e to see you," he said with a few pauses. I didn't let him touch me, so he stumbled and fell to the ground. Two guards came and helped him up, taking him inside while one took care of the still-running car. I took a big sigh; my problems weren't enough, and now Cain showed up.

His mate rejected him two years ago, and he fell into the depths of hell. I didn't care about him anymore. I had tried several times to talk to him, convince him to forget and move on, but even I knew that it wouldn't be possible. That's why having a mate comes with a million weaknesses. I walked back to my bedroom, took a cold shower, and tried to sleep. Tried. All I was doing was tossing and turning, and then I heard a faint scream.

My heart pounded in my chest It was Airy's Voice. As I ran towards Airy's room, my wolf taking over my body in a desperate attempt to reach her. There was another scream and she called "ALPHAAA" through the halls, sending shivers down my spine. My feet pounded against the cold stone floors as I raced towards her door.

When I arrived, I noticed that Gary was not at the door, and I could smell him inside the room. My blood boiled at the thought of someone hurting her. All I could see was red. I burst through the door, ready to tear apart anyone who dared to harm her.

I saw Gary on top of Airy clawing on her underwear! RED. That's all I saw.

I grabbed him and threw him on the floor and started throwing punches on his face untill he became unrecognizable. 

I could sense Airy crying uncontrollably and shuffling on the bed. When Alex came with a guard I let go of Gary and walked towards Airy.

Alex knew where to take this disgusting piece of shit.

I was nowhere done with him.