Chapter 26

I woke up, stretching and rolling over like I always do, still half-asleep.

Uh.

Something didn't feel right. My hand brushed against something warm, someone. My heart pounded, and I shot out of bed, my pulse racing.

It was Damien. His eyes fluttered open in a panic as if my sudden movement startled him. In one smooth, almost reflexive motion, he was on his feet beside me, alert.

"Are you okay?" His voice was soft but laced with concern.

I blinked, still trying to calm my racing heart. "Yeah, sorry. I just... wasn't expecting anyone." I looked down. "Sorry," I said again, " This is your bed.

I said as I giggled.

"What's mine is yours," He said and continued "I'm sorry I should have slept on the couch."

I shook my head and took the blanket that fell from the bed.

"I don't want you to be scared", He looked at me as he moved to the other side of the bed and towards the windows.

"I will stay with you at night from now on if you don't mind," he said turning to me.

"I don't mind," I said.

I just noticed he was shirtless. As the initial panic drained from my body, a sinking feeling took its place. No matter how hard I tried, I knew I wouldn't be able to shake the thoughts clawing at the back of my mind. What had happened—would stay with me, lingering like a shadow I couldn't outrun.

He moved closer to the window sill where I had the two vampire books lying around. I wouldn't want him to see that I was reading those but I barely saw him in this room so I assumed he wouldn't.

Damien grabbed one.

"Why are you reading these?" he asked looking at me, the book raised a bit. His tone was a bit angry.

"Just like the wolf ones, I want to learn more," I said.

He nodded as he grabbed the second book. 

"You won't be reading them," He said as he put the two books on the desk. 'Is he taking them away?'

"Why?" I asked, fully confused about why he didn't want me to.

"They are not like us Airy." he shook his head. "They don't even think like us."

"What does that have to do with me reading about them and being more informed?" I asked raising my voice slightly.

I could see his eyes shifting, his jaw tightening with every passing second. He was holding something back, trying to stay composed, but I knew better.

I took a deep breath and continued, my voice trembling slightly. "What if he comes after me for what I did to him? I need to know... what weaknesses do they have?" My gaze dropped to the floor, the weight of fear pressing down on me.

"He won't," Damien said, his teeth clenched, his voice strained as if he was forcing himself to believe the words.

I looked up, my voice barely a whisper. "How do you know?"

He paused, the tension in his face betraying his calm facade. "His brother gave his word," he said, though the way he spoke made it clear even he didn't trust that promise.

I scoffed softly, shaking my head. "They don't think like you do." I turned away, the fear and uncertainty still gnawing at me, and slowly made my way toward the bathroom.

____________________

I looked at myself in the mirror, noticing the faint tiredness in my eyes. The weight of everything was starting to show.