Chapter 23

I found myself lying beside Lily, a needle in my hand as I donated blood to save her life.

Despite Damien's repeated protests, the nurses insisted that Lily needed more blood, prompting me to argue in her defense.

"Enough," Damien's voice cut through the tension every five minutes, his frustration palpable. Yet, each time, I found myself advocating for Lily's well-being, unwilling to relent until I was certain she had received what she needed.

Feeling overwhelmed, I reached for Damien's hand, seeking solace in his touch. As he settled beside me, his presence provided a sense of calm amidst the chaos.

Eventually, the nurses urged us to return home, assuring us that they would continue to care for Lily.

Attempting to rise, dizziness overwhelmed me, causing me to lose my balance. Damien's quick reflexes caught me before I fell, his strength supporting me as he carried me home.

As he gently laid me down on the bed and offered me water, I felt a wave of drowsiness wash over me. Despite the blood I had lost, I reassured myself that I was okay, grateful that Lily was receiving the help she needed.

With Damien's care and Vivian's arrival with food, I allowed myself to succumb to exhaustion, knowing that for now, Lily was safe.

"What did he do to her?" I choked out the question, tears welling in my eyes.

Damien sighed heavily, exhaustion evident in every line of his face as he ran a hand through his dark hair, pushing it away from his weary eyes.

"A lot," was all he said, the weight of his words hanging heavily in the air. I recalled the briefings he had received while I donated blood, the horrors he had learned about Lily's ordeal.

"The scumbag fled as my men reached his house," Damien continued, shaking his head in frustration. "But I will catch him."

Despite my reluctance, Damien persisted in offering me fruit, gently urging me to eat, insisting that I needed it.

"Will she be okay?" I whispered, my voice trembling with fear.

"Yes," Damien replied, his tone firm and resolute.

"Thank you," I murmured, overwhelmed with gratitude. Without hesitation, I found myself enveloping him in a grateful embrace, finding solace in his comforting presence. As exhaustion washed over me, I rested my head on his shoulder, allowing myself to succumb to the darkness of sleep.

----

As I woke, the weight of yesterday's turmoil settled heavily upon me, the clock glaring 11 am in stark reminder.

Lily.

I couldn't shake the worry gnawing at my insides.

Attempting to rise, I found Damien emerging from the bathroom, a towel casually draped around his hips. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment as he dressed in the closet room, his movements silent against the backdrop of my anxious pacing.

"Airy," his voice cut through the tension, a plea tinged with determination. "Let me prepare a bath and breakfast for you before we visit Lily."

I hesitated, but Damien's unwavering gaze left me with no choice.

After a brisk shower, a hasty change of clothes, and refusing to eat, we made our way to the hospital, Lily's condition hanging heavy in the air between us. Upon entering her room, I felt a wave of relief wash over me seeing her rest peacefully.

As Damien stepped out momentarily, I seized the opportunity to inquire about Lily's prognosis. The nurse's words hit me like a punch to the gut, the gravity of Lily's suffering hitting me with full force. What I endured these past several weeks, were nothing, nothing that Lily went through.

I had to leave, the hospital walls closing in around me, suffocating me with guilt and despair.

I'm sorry, Lily.

I'm so, so sorry.

I quickly entered a bathroom in the hospital and emptied my stomach contents.

I left the hospital through the front doors and saw Damien standing there with Alex, the beta.

They both turned to me, Alex gave me a curt nod with an apologetic face and said "Luna" as he left.

Damien saw my condition and he could already tell what I had discovered. He gave a big sigh and led me back to the house he asked Vivian to take care of me as he left.