10.2 | The Stranger

Surprised, Gordon turned to face Lynn. “Really?”

“Indeed. Roger claimed he found Felicia, but she escaped,” the woman worriedly nodded. “It was only a matter of time before he found her again.”

“And what about Eularia?”

“I didn’t give her to the same family, so if Roger finds her, the other will remain hidden.”

“That’s clever,” he smiled, but his expression quickly darkened. “Does that mean you knew before anyone else what the future held for us?”

“What do you mean?”

“You gave Felicia and Eularia to someone else to raise in order to keep them safe from Roger and at the same time take care of Agnese and Ravenna, am I right?”

“Yes, it would have been too difficult for me to raise four children at that time,” she sighed.

“But you gave them to other people seven years before Ravenna was born. All the other Specials found out about the Prophecy much later.”

“Exactly. Lorenna predicted Arella and Tasdar’s fate much later, but kept it secret for a while. I was the only one who knew from the beginning because prophecy is a serious thing. Lorenna wanted to make sure it was true.”

“Of course,” Gordon nodded and glanced at the clock. “It’s already midnight. Should be dark in the Dark Kingdom, it’s about time.”

“Are you sure it will be better at night?”

“Yes. There may be more guards than in the daytime, but darkness will be our disguise.”

“All right, then, let’s get going.”

Gordon took Lynn’s hand, and the two of them teleported to the Dark Kingdom’s entrance.

“There should be at least two guards on the other side of the gate,” he whispered. “We won’t be able to avoid them, get ready.”

Gordon instantly opened the gate and extended his staff, sending out a stream of crimson magical energy, while Lynn raised her hands, radiating a golden glow. At the sight of the intruders, six guards charged forward, only to fall to the ground defeated seconds later. There were many of them, but neither special nor strong enough to prevail in significant battles.

Gordon prodded her, saying, “All right, let’s hide them before we get noticed.”

They dragged the guards into the bushes and approached the fortress under the cover of trees and darkness. Gordon was prepared to strike at any time as he gripped his staff in his hand. Lynn knew that the staff was more than just a regular magical item; it was a generational emblem of wisdom. Gordon was a sage, the only one of the Specials with the ability to speak with the gods who created the whole world of special and also ordinary people. He was intelligent and powerful, and the woman was glad she had asked for his help, but it also concerned her that he might be put in danger because of her. But that’s how Gordon was; he wasn’t afraid of danger and ready to give his life if needed.

“Look, it’s Roger,” Lynn nudged him in the side. “Maybe we could arrange for him to take us to Neptune?”

“Are you kidding?”