Midnight Hero - Jay Halstead

Ok, this one is SHORT so please bare with me. I feel like all I've been kicking out lately is Jay fics, but he's the one who gives the most inspiration. Also, this is going to be apart of an ongoing series inspired by one of my favorites songs of all time Kilby Girl by the Backseat Lovers. I saw them live a few years ago and they literally changed my life. I love that they are getting more recognition after playing in OBX. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the start to my next series (this one will be broke up, not one chapter after another). I hope you all enjoy! 

1,509 Words 

---------------

You tumbled out of the bar laughing to yourself as the bouncer jumped aside as he thought you were going to throw up. Stumbling down the sidewalk you ducked into the alley and let everything you had consumed a few hours early make its way back up.

Once you were satisfied and didn't have bubbling in your stomach anymore you tried to compose yourself to continue stumbling home. Your feet were aching but you really didn't want to walk the streets of downtown Chicago barefoot and step on something that would land you in a bed at the Gaffney Medical Center emergency department. Even drunk you still had standards.

The cool air was welcoming after dancing the night away squashed next to sweaty bodies you didn't care to pull your jacket over your shoulders. Instead, it was tied to your bag, probably dragging collecting some disease-ridden specimens as it drug against the sidewalk.

The walk wasn't that far, normally. From your apartment to the club it was a thirty-minute walk sober. Under the influence and in thought you could be walking all night. But you didn't mind, you didn't have work or class on your tallest heels the next morning so you could take your sweet time and enjoy the nice night.

But your nice night walk was interrupted as you felt a few crisp drops land on your bare shoulders. You looked up towards the sky, but since it was the middle of the night and you were intoxicated you couldn't really see the clouds that had rolled in since you left the bar. Abruptly you pulled your jacket off of your purse and threw it on your shoulders, not that it was going to be much help. The flannel did not provide much warmth let alone protection from the rain.

A little pep was put in your step as the rain began pelting down, sobering you up as you slinked along the street. The salty tears that were starting to form slid down your cheeks mixing with the rainwater. You weren't necessarily sad, just frustrated with your current position.

You kept your head down, trying to focus on your high-heeled feet so you didn't trip and could walk faster than average. You didn't interact with anyone you passed on the street, most of them being shady characters or other drunks stumbling out of passing bars. Turning the corner you only lifted your head to make sure you weren't going to bump into anyone.

The street was bare, except for a car pulling up to the light that had just changed to red. You looked beyond it, not wanting to give the driver a hint that you wanted to interact with them. It was too late to give a friendly smile.

"It's raining, I suppose that you need a ride".

The voice was familiar, but you couldn't place where you had heard it before, maybe sober you would know.

You don't know what drew you to look up since you had been so committed to not engaging. But you knew the voice from somewhere, so what would the harm be?

The driver was handsome, but his face was slightly blurred, due to the rain that was dripping off your eyelashes and the shots you had downed before you left the bar. But it didn't matter, you could tell. He was young, probably the same age as you, maybe a couple years older.