Chapter Eight

I crashed through the door later that night still giggling over the afternoon with my friend. I made my way into the kitchen to get a drink and found Mum at the table reading a magazine and drinking tea.

"Hey Mum. Good day?"

She grinned. "You?"

"Oh yeah, mine was fab."

"Great. Want anything? I made a chicken pie."

"Yum."

She placed it in the oven to heat up, and then she stood there, dawdling. She wiped the bench with her bare hand, put a stray plate in the dishwasher, turned all the cup handles so they pointed in the same direction. She straightened the tea towel on the bench. Set the pens in a neat line. The whole time my eyes followed her every move.

"Mum?" I asked, curious.

"Yes dear?"

I stared pointedly at her. She shrugged, gave me her half smile. Then sighed. And let a huge grin escape her.

"Mum?! What?" I asked again.

"I got a job!" she exclaimed happily.

"A job? What job?" I asked, baffled.

"I applied for a photography job, and I got it! I received the letter today!"

"Photography?"

"Yep! I start tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow?"

"They needed me, I guess."

"Wow. Mum! That's great!" I ran over and gave her a hug.

Pulling away, I looked up at her smiling face. She hadn't seemed this happy for a long time. I was glad she finally had something to fill her time with, something she truly enjoyed. It was years since she had worked; my father had out-of-the-blue decided he didn't want a working woman as a wife and made her quit her job. She had only been a waitress, but she loved that job, and all the people she worked with. The customers loved her as well. She was sorely missed when she left, but they all understood. They all knew.

I shivered. The tension had hung thick in the air that night. I'd locked myself in my bedroom, but I could still hear their raised voices. Muffled crying. Then silence. The silence was somehow worse than the shouting. A slammed door. Car tyres screeching in the driveway. Only then had I let myself out of my room, and run to my mum's side. I stayed with her all night, as the tears continually rolled down her cheeks.

I subtly shook my head, bringing myself back to the present. No tears wet her face today.

"Wanna watch a movie with me?" Mum asked.

"Yeah. What?"

"I don't know. We'll find something."

When the pie was ready, we cut our slices and settled on the couch, deciding on Pretty Woman. As the movie progressed and our bowls became cold, I couldn't help pondering the celebration of the night. We'd both finally stood up to Damien, in our own ways. Took a stand for what we wanted. And I was glad for it, if it meant things would change for the better.

***

When I heard Mum's footsteps in the hall the next evening, I ran downstairs and nearly bowled her over with a hug. I let her go with a grin on my face and took in her uniform.

"Mum! You look amazing!" I exclaimed.

She smiled like a cat that got the mouse, and twirled for me. She wore a long, flowing white skirt that had a marble effect over it in aqua, turquoise and an apple green; and a white blouse that had The Bigger Picture's logo sewed on the left pocket. Her honey blonde hair and smiling complexion completed the look.