Chapter Twelve

I squeezed Rosina's hand as the plane picked up speed and took off. It was really happening. We were really on our way to Venice. I gazed out the window as we rose higher and higher above the ground. I smiled as the Indigo Valley became a patchwork of shades of green and splashes of white and red, with roads looking like rivers winding through the middle. I hadn't left the valley for years, and had only been on a plane once before. I rested my head against the head-rest. This was certainly going to be the best second plane trip ever. Long one, though. It was a fourteen hour flight. I sighed, and tried not to think about it. Instead, I thought about what Mum's reaction would be when I found her. What she'd say when I asked her why she hadn't contacted me for four whole months. I frowned. I hoped she was ok. As 'what ifs' started whizzing around my head, I groaned, and forced myself to change my line of thought again. Venice. Wandering the streets, sitting in a gondola underneath the Rialto bridge, having breakfast in a cafe, meeting Venetian people... a smile played across my lips, and I closed my eyes, letting myself sink into imaginary Venice.

***

"Ladies and gentlemen, if you would please take your seats, we will be coming in to land at the Marco Polo airport in just a few minutes. We hope you have enjoyed your flight with us today, and we hope you enjoy your stay. It is three o'clock local time, and the weather is sunny...." the cabin steward's announcement registered in my sleepy mind just as Rosina started poking me.

"Oi!" I exclaimed. "I'm awake, I'm awake! Yeesh." I leant past her to look out the window. "Far out, Ros, we're here! We're really here! In Venice!" I grabbed her hand and punched the air a few times in excitement.

"I know! I can't wait to get off this plane, and walk around. It always feels surreal until you're actually touching the ground, breathing the air..." she sighed. "I'm so glad I came, Maria. It's going to be so much fun!"

Within forty-five minutes of touchdown, Rosina and I were aboard an Alilaguna- a fancy name for a ferry- headed for the beautiful city of Venice. I gazed out the window in awe. Where else can you catch a plane to one city, on land, then take a short, calm boat ride to a city surrounded by water? This side of the world truly was beautiful. And it was all thanks to Josefina (whoever she was). The trip was a dream come true. Although, I still couldn't quite believe that it was for real. I'd never even met the lady! Oh well, she did promise to tell me the story, one day. But until then, I was simply going to enjoy this incredible gift.

Rosina and I stepped out onto the street, and stood amidst the mass of people who swarmed around us. Oblivious to the bustling crowd, I closed my eyes and let the sounds and smells roll over me. The different languages layered over each other, and I tuned in to several conversations, loving the foreign tongue. The smell of fresh coffee and pastries wafted amongst the people, as the sound of a dog barking and a town clock chiming pierced the warm air. My eyes flew open as a hand pushed me aside. I stumbled, thankfully, into Ros who steadied me. We took off then, following the crowd, eventually arriving in a quiet square with a cafe half full. I sighed happily, and walked in. It was only when we reached the counter that I realised neither of us spoke Italian, the predominant language of Venice. I gave a wide-eyed look to Ros, who shrugged. Gritting my teeth, I commenced a miming act in an attempt to give our order to the young man smiling behind the counter. Obviously stifling his laughter, he spoke gently.

"I speak English, Miss. Coffee for you and your friend? Of course."

Rosina burst out laughing, while I turned a bright shade of red.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean... I didn't know, oh, I... sorry."

He chuckled.

"It is alright, miss. It happens all the time. Where are you from? Wait... let me guess. Australia?"