Chapter Two

THREE YEARS LATER

The air rushed past my flushed cheeks. My chocolate-coloured hair rose and fell with Indah’s blonde mane as we streaked across the field. I had longed for this moment for the past three years, waiting and watching as my gangly newborn filly grew up into the beautiful mare whose broad golden neck I clung to. Indah galloped to the top of the hill at full tilt, obviously enjoying herself enormously. I could feel the adrenaline surging through her, pushing her to go faster and faster still. My legs clamped around her middle, hands lost in her mane, I urged her on too. But then the race was over, and she did a few bunny hops as she sank into her haunches and halted metres from the edge. Her head turned to me as I slid off her back into the place where I had leaned against her for years. Peering around her, I took note exactly where the hundred metre high cliff started. I didn’t want to be taking an unexpected flying lesson today. My fingers laced through her mane as we stood together, gazing out over the breathtaking view the Indigo Valley offered.

“We did it, Indah,” I whispered to her. Her muzzle pressed against my hand in response. Every day since I discovered this valley hidden in amongst the mountains, I had led Indah to this spot, dreaming of the day when I would be able to ride her instead. The two of us had spent hours playing in the fields, standing and gazing out over the Indigo Valley, imagining where we could go. Now we’d be riding to all those places. An excited smile lifted the corners of my mouth.

Indah suddenly headed off, and I followed her. Her ears were pricked forward as she made for a tiny gap between the trees. Vaulting onto her bare back, I bent down over her neck to avoid being hit by the low branches. As she picked up her feet and started to trot, I clamped my legs tighter to keep from sliding off. Still bent down over her neck, I clung on even tighter as she broke into a canter. My heart was beating against my chest, not from fear, but from exhilaration. I trusted Indah a hundred per cent to keep me safe. I kept my eyes fixed ahead. She showed no signs of letting up, and soon the trees and their branches had encroached on our space even more- so much so I ended up hanging off the side. With my arms wrapped tight around her neck, one leg hooked over her back, the majority of my body was pressed along her left side. Not the most comfortable way to ride, I grant you. My muscles were screaming by the time I finally saw the path open up, and then she burst out of the trees onto a flat grassy plateau. Hoisting myself to the proper position, I looked around in awe. I felt like we were on top of the world. The plateau was long, but relatively narrow, and dropped off on all sides. Given the altitude, it seemed to rise above even the mountains, a platform overlooking the entire Valley. My eyes were wide in astonishment. I could see the town, all the houses and fields creating a beautiful patchwork quilt, the highway stretching out to the neighbouring towns... as far as the eye could see. It was absolutely incredible.

***

After this time walking back through, I let Indah meander down the hill, lying flat along her back, watching the clouds.

When we reached the flat of the valley again, I sat forward and urged her into a gallop home.

Bursting through the gate into our backyard, Indah skidded to a halt, flung her head high and let loose a neigh that I felt vibrate through my legs. I laughed as we received a yelp from my mum as she appeared from behind the sheets hanging on the clothes line. Mum stared at us, and then started laughing. I crossed my arms and pulled a face. As our laughter broke the still silence of the outdoors, Indah shook her head and started walking herself to her paddock, stopping outside the shed, where I slid off and brushed her down before leading her the rest of the way.