Chapter Ten

The rest of the school year flew by in a blur. So fast I barely remember it. The crushing end to my search for Indah had snuffed out the tiny flame I kept burning for her- hoping she would come galloping through the gates one day- and I was forced to realise that I would never see her again. The finality of it was awful, so awful I crept back into my shell as though she had been taken from me yesterday. After three whole months in this dazed state, then when I cautiously stuck my head back out, bam! Grade ten was over. I was so shocked, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't believe high school was at an end. It was so surreal that I was actually going to college next year... it seemed crazy.

***

I took to reading the newspaper in the holidays- something I'd never actually done. I'd only ever skimmed it, or read a few articles. But I'd finished all my books, and was eating breakfast one morning, lost in thought, when Mum dumped the pile of mail on the table in front of me. I spied the newspaper sticking out, and since then, I've read it every morning. When I collected the mail this particular morning, there was a blue envelope in the mix. I picked it up and tapped the back of my other hand with it. I'd never prised any information about it from Mum. She'd always been very cagey, unwilling to answer my questions. Why was that? I had no idea, but every time I was given the brush-off, I just got more curious.

Mum was sitting on the couch in the lounge room in her work clothes, reading her book, and I dropped the letter in her lap. She picked it up, examined it, and carefully placed in next to her, then looked up at me.

"Who are these letters from, Mum?"

"'These' letters?"

"Yeah. These. They seem to appear in the mail fairly regularly. So. Who are these letters from?"

She acquired a determined look, set her jaw, and stared me down. I sighed in defeat. I never, never, won against her when she took that stance.

"That, Maria, is something I can't tell you. Maybe one day, but not now."

"Mum!" I whined. "Come on, who is it? A guy, perhaps?" I wriggled my eyebrows at her.

"I'm serious, Maria. Please don't ask me again."

I watched her for a moment, before sighing again.

"Fine."

I s'pose everyone has secrets, don't they?

I curled up on the couch with my newspaper and toast, circling in red pen the summer jobs that sounded appealing. I wasn't far off seventeen, yet I had the technological skills of a seven year-old, though currently, kids were practically raised on technology, so I wouldn't be surprised if the seven year-old was better than me. There was a position at a cafe that sounded perfect. I wondered if Ros'd like to do it with me. Flipping to the comics, I spent the comfortable hours of the morning poring over the paper.

Mum arrived home with her arms full of groceries. I was halfway through a movie, in the same position as when Mum had left that morning.

"Hey Mum! How's work?"

"Great, actually. There's talk of sending a couple of us out on short trips, so I'm hoping I get one of the spots. Venice, France, Mexico, a couple of other places. They're the kind of places they're chucking around the office."

"Really? Awesome! Are you entitled to a plus-one?"

She smiled. "I don't think so. But I haven't got a spot yet."

"If you go, how long for?"

"Six or so weeks. Depending where I'm sent."

"They're paying to send you to Venice or wherever, for six whole weeks, to take photos? Man I love your job. Can I be an intern or whatever over the break? Would that let me go with you? Like, shoot, I don't know how you can cope with this kind of lifestyle. Being paid to go on holiday! Sheesh."