Chapter Sixteen

When we finally made our way to the Louvre, crossing over the famous Lock Bridge to get there, we spent a whole day inside. And we still didn't see everything. I think it's a bit like Disneyland in that regard. Spend a whole week there and still not see everything. Both places are gigantic. You'd need months. It was incredible! In the courtyard created by the building's structure, is that glass pyramid that lights up at night. Inside the pyramid is this spiral staircase that you can climb. It's tall, but it only gets you about halfway up the pyramid. The corridors inside the Louvre itself- they're never ending! All these huge rooms with statues and paintings and world famous art pieces... I could easily get lost. I know that much. Especially when there were rooms inside rooms. Which led to more rooms. And then when you finally exited them, you'd find yourself on a different corridor. And so on. Anyhow, we saw the Louvre. And it was awesome. The highlight was when we saw the Mona Lisa. Ok, so it wasn't the actual original. That painting is worth a fortune, and with the amount of people who come through to see it, why risk it being stolen? No, what we saw was an exceptional copy of it. It was still pretty amazing though.

***

"What do you wanna do with the last few days we have in Paris, Ros? Anything specific?"

"I take it you do?"
I smiled. "You know me so well. Yes, as a matter of fact. I wanna take a ballet class, and go champagne tasting. Or wine tasting. Both, even. We're old enough."

"Are we? Like, it's eighteen in Australia, but is it the same here?"

"Yup. I checked. And we've got our birthday tomorrow. Nineteen! Like wow. Seems like only yesterday we were nervous schoolgirls on the first day of high school! Anyway. Then we leave on Tuesday morning. I can't believe we've only got five days left! It's ridiculous!"

"I know. Time flies when you're having fun."

"Not flies- zooms. Zoom, zoom, zoom." I stretched my arms and pretended to be a plane, doing circles around her.

"You're really super-dooper weird, you know that?"

"Mmhmm." I sank back onto the grass with a cheesy grin. "Well?"

"No, I don't have anything I specifically want to do. I like the sound of yours, though. But, Layetta's not eighteen yet- she won't be able to come."

"Oh, I forgot about that. She seems way older, it's not hard."

"She does, but it doesn't change anything."

"Well, that just blew that idea. I don't know. I want to go... maybe we just meet her afterwards?"

"It's our last day though."

"Exactly."

"It can't take all day. We'll just catch up with her later, like you said."

"It'll be fine. What do you think of my other idea?"

"Paris is, like, the centre of the ballet world. Isn't it?"

"Think so."

"See? Perfect."

"Duh."

"Whatever. Hey, why don't we make it a whole cheese/wine/champagne thing? They're all in each other's back pockets; they go hand in hand. You know, when people on TV go wine tasting, it's a wine-and-cheese tour?"

"Sounds great. We'll just make sure to bring heaps of crackers. I'm not a particular fan of just cheese. I don't know how people can eat it just by itself," I pulled a face.

"Whatever floats ya boat. But seeing as it's probably too late to do either of those things today, and we've got to party tomorrow, can we do stuff on the weekend? The French don't shut down, do they? I mean, we have Monday, but..."