Anger, Grief, and Peace

The room Näkaynì was trapped in continued to fill with water. 

Her shoulder continued to bleed, making her eyes feel hazy.

She secured herself onto a pole where she was still able to breathe with the air pocket. 

She laid her head down, thinking about her family, hopeful that they had gotten out. 

All of a sudden, the lights in the room began to flicker before turning off completely.

"No! Mom! Dad!" She yelled as a final plea of desperation.

Näkaynì thought only of her family, all the time they had shared together, 

before her eyes shut completely as the darkness overtook her. 

It was her mother and father.

They were smiling.

Lo'ak, Kiri, Tuk, and herself were all with each other in a warm embrace. 

They were back with the Metkayina, residing in their Marui.

Flashes of sweet moments danced across her vision, 

her siblings swimming freely in the water, 

her mother and father hunting together. 

It was their life, 

continued.

Näkaynì gasped as she awoke, having only had the vision for a few seconds, however the room had continued to fill with water at a fast pace.

The great mother showed her that her family would find peace, happiness, and strength once again.

She had began to be surrounded by an unknown light, a light that seemed to be dancing around her.

She quickly recognized the animals as the small fish that had been mimicking her on the first night swim she had gone on.

They began to make a line as they seemed to be guiding her towards an exit.

That was all Näkaynì needed as she decided she would be getting out of this ship.

To keep living.

As the water reached her chin, she took one final deep breath before being submerged under the water completely. 

She quickly readjusted her eyes to focus on where the fish were moving.

She pushed with as much strength as she could muster with her right arm, as she was unable to move her left arm. 

It took a solid three minutes before Näkaynì had cleared the ship.

Once she was out, all she had to do was swim to the surface.

The fish continued to swim around her in a more urgent manner, trying to guide her to the top of the water.

She could faintly see the figures of her family members reuniting above.

As she mustered the only strength she had left, she kicked off of the bottom of the ocean floor, scooping the water with her right arm, trying to move as fast as possible.

However, as she looked towards the surface, it was so, incredibly 

far.

A wave of exhaustion took over Näkaynì's body as she was barely able to keep her eyes open, straining for a breath that she wasn't able to take.

Her lungs began to burn as she hastily searched for oxygen. 

Everything that Näkaynì had been through had finally caught up to her.