Part 3

“Enjoy Columbia.” the man said as he walked away

And just like that, the narcos had Barlowe and Murphy on record since day one. 

The three of them went to the house they were renting for as long as they were all staying. Vanessa covered her head with her pillow and banged on the wall. “Could you please keep it down in there, some people are trying to sleep!” Vanessa shouted at Steve and Connie in the next room as gunfire was heard down the block. Then automatic gunfire. “Would rather hear that then…them.” Vanessa muttered to herself.

First day at the American Embassy. Steve and Vanessa met the man who would be a partner to the both of them in one way or another as time goes on. 

Both Steve and Vanessa got out of the car to see a man wearing the same suit as Murphy and a pair of aviator sunglasses. “Javier?” Murphy spoke as he shook his hand. “Murphy.” Javier shook his hand “And you must be Barlowe.” Javier looked at Vanessa who had her arms crossed and nodded in return. “Follow me.” he told them, and they did. “Murphy, Barlowe. This is Weaver and Wisnicki.” Javier introduced them. “These guys are R.I.P Retired in Place.” Javier said “Eat me Peña.” one of them replied “Paid vacation’s over, fellas.” Javier said. “Barlowe and I are going to Medellín.” Peña said and both Vanessa and Steve looked at him “Sorry, Murphy too.” Peña corrected himself. As they walked away one of the guys flipped Peña off. “We’re going to Medellín?” Murphy asked, “You barely were until two seconds ago.” Vanessa said and Murphy hit her arm. Peña just looked at Murphy as they walked into another room. “Jarheads…this is Murphy and Barlowe. Murphy and Barlowe, this is the Mil Group.” Peña introduced. “They advise Colombian military on communist threats in the countryside.” Peña explained. “Hey, those are classified.” a man said as Peña picked up a folder from a desk. “Now they’re declassified.” Peña said as he read the contents of the file. Barlowe chuckled and Murphy shook his head. “That’s the ambassador’s call.” the man said. “No problem.” Javier replied before throwing the folder on his desk. 

Peña then led them to the ambassador’s office. “Why do you need this intel?” she asked the three agents. “There’s an unusual number of prostitutes headed to Medellín this weekend. Every high-end girl in Bogotá. First class airfare, five-star hotels. The narcos are having a meeting and then a party.” Peña explained to the ambassador. “What does the M-19 have to do with this?” the ambassador asked. “Somebody kidnapped Marta Ochoa. Intel suggests it was the M-19. I need access to the M-19 files to confirm.” Peña continued as Murphy and Barlowe nodded. “If I find out one single dollar of American taxpayer money went to any of those hookers, it’ll be your ass.” the ambassador warned Peña. He nodded as she stood up. “Okay, thank you. One last thing, Ambassador.” he said and she sighed before turning around “Yes, Agent Peña?” she questioned “I’m filing a visa request for my informant. I need your signature.” he told her “You’re bothering me.” she told him and Vanessa covered her mouth to stifle laughter. “She sure likes you.” Vanessa said to Peña as they walked out of the room “is your informant really a prostitute?” Murphy asked. “Everybody works for somebody.” Peña told Murphy as they kept walking. 

The very next day, Murphy and Barlowe were flying with Peña to Medellín, Pablo Escobar’s home turf. 

They pulled up to the location and followed Peña. “I want you to meet our new DEAs, Steve Murphy and Vanessa Barlowe.” Peña introduced. Peña then took them straight to a fancy hotel where the narcos were about to meet. “Okay, get him.” Peña pointed as Vanessa watched through her camera lens. “Carlos Lehder.” Peña told her as the shutter clicked. “Now them.” Peña said. The Ochoa Brothers. Fernando Galeano, “the Wolfman”. “Is that Gacha?” Peña asked and Vanessa moved her head from the camera and looked at him “I’ve never seen him with other traffickers.” Carillo spoke. And last but not least, Gustavo and Pablo. “Get pictures of that fucker.” Carillo told Vanessa. 

All the narcos wear under one roof and Peña got them there to document it all. What they didn’t know was that they were witnessing the formation of the famed Medellín cartel. Pablo took advantage of kidnapping Marta Ochoa to bring all the narcos together for the first time. And then he proclaimed himself their leader. 

Later that night, Peña brought Murphy, Barlowe, and Carillo to a spot where Peña would meet his informant. “She should be here by now.” Peña spoke. “You think she slipped?” Murphy asked. “Nah, she’s no dummy.” Peña told Murphy. “Maybe she’s getting pretty for you.” Carillo said and Murphy and Vanessa smiled at each other, both of them shaking their heads. “Yeah.” Peña spoke. The radio began going off so Carillo answered. “They’re telling me the girl left a long time ago.” Carillo told Peña. “She’s already dead.” he said “No, they wouldn’t kill her at the hotel.” Peña told him. “Then they killed her somewhere else. She knew the risks.” Carillo said and all three of them turned to look at him. “If we’re going back, we go back now.” Vanessa said. Peña walked over to Carillo and began saying something in Spanish to him. “Gonna stick around here and see if she shows up, okay?” Peña pointed at Murphy and Barlowe. “And where are you going?” Vanessa asked “We’re gonna go look for her.” Peña said as he walked away. Murphy and Barlowe kept waiting and Murphy went over to talk to the guys in the car. He came back looking defeated. “Hey, gringo. Carillo is calling. Come on.” one of the men said from inside of the car. They both climbed into the car and were driven off. Where they arrived, there were police officers and ambulances everywhere. “Where the fuck’s Peña?” Vanessa asked as she stepped out of the car. 

A man then pointed in a direction so she followed the direction and Murphy followed behind her. “How is she?” Murphy asked as they approached Peña. “Sedated.” Peña replied. “She gonna be okay?” Murphy asked “Physically, yeah. Mentally, I haven’t got a fucking clue.” Peña told him. “You left us behind on purpose.” Vanessa spoke. “Look–” Peña began “If we are going to be working together, I don’t get left behind. We don’t get left behind.” Vanessa crossed her arms as she spoke. “We didn’t come all the way down here to sit on the fucking sidelines.” she got in his face as she spoke “Whatever’s going on here…we’re in all the way. Is that understood?” she questioned Peña as he smoked his cigarette. “Understood.” he replied before walking away.